thinkin about a blue ringed octopus for my nano

balashark21

what can you tell me about them besides the fact that they are the deadliest creatures in the entire planet????:help: :help: :help:

dude crush

My best suggestion is to do a search on them and found out some info by yourself. Along with your peers.:notsure:

ekclark

I have read that their sting/bite (however they do it) is painless and you can die without even knowing you were attacked. Sounds like a dream pet to me :)

dugan

Deadly, schmeadly... live on the edge I say!! I hear they are great for hand-feeding and love a little scratch on the back now and then.
:silly:
Katie

balashark21

007no joke i really wanna know about them. if i said i wanted to pet them and hand feed then it would be a joke but i really do want as much info as possible about them

Not a hundred percent on this but I am pretty sure that they are illegal to not only sell but to posess as well.
Furthermore, why would you want to keep such a thing in your tank anyway?

Originally posted by Lazy east911
ther very pretty ive seen em before...and i must ask, why are all the pretty fish deadly?

A blue ring octo will be able to pass through any crevice that is large enough for it's beak to fit through. Furthermore, they are one of, if not the most intelligent creature that lives in the sea. We're talking problem solving capacity here.
Why anyone would want to keep this animal is far beyond me. I do agree that they are beautiful, but I think that I will stick to pictures. To buy one would not only cost a LOT of money, but they have a relatively short life span in captivity. I believe that they live less than one year.
Whats the point?

nm reef

Please watch the profanity...such language is not needed.
I know enough about the blue ring to know most folks have absolutely no business even considering them for home aquariums. I'd think you relise that also ... but if you want detailed info I'd suggest a google search. There has been a lot of info on them posted on-line and I'm confident you can locate enough info to convince youself to avoid them.:thinking:

D

daniel411

I think it will be a bit harder to convince your parents on letting you get that vs. a lion fish or puppy. If they did say okay, you might not want to post it... wouldn't be to good when your states social service personal find out.

goldmar00n

First you will feel nauseous. Your vision becomes hazy. Within seconds you are blind. You loose your sense of touch. You cannot speak or swallow. Three minutes later you are paralysed and unable to breath.

fshhub

beatiful creaturs no doubt
however, they are legal to obtain, i am sure.
a few things to know
first, as you ahve mentioned, they are extremely deadly
and can kill a man in minutes without him even knowing he had been bitten
2d, they should have been appropriately named the HOUDINI ocotpus. they are known as being excellent escape artists for sure. But escape artisit is by far an UNDERSTATEMENT. They will get out of any tank, unless actually sealed. just tight fitting lids will not suffice.
3d, they are probably the most intelligent species we can obtain. They can firgure out serious and complicated locks and doors in order to get out.
I can remember one time watching a video, where (in a lab) fish were disappearing and there was no explanation at all. So, the reseachers and lab staff set up cameras. The very first night, they caught the theif. It was an octopus(in what was thought to be a nice tight fitting tand and lid), who was getting out at night and crawling across the floor to get into the other tank that he/she was observing all day and in for a midnight snack. Later to return home before anyone came in to return to work in the morning. No wonder noone was able to figure out he mystery.
I am sure that their motivations and travels will not only be set on that tank across the room, it could be ones bed that they wind up in for a little while.
4th, their life span is very short and they are difficult to keep for any amount of time.
5th, they are not cheap to purchase either, NOT AT ALL
Now, although some of this info may make them seem more intriguing to some, they are NOT a creature to be taken lightly and should not be sought after for a home tank at all. The best advice that can be given is to let them alone, not to mention that they are rare or maybe even endangered, adn letting them in the wild is the best chance that they have for survival. That is one of our other responsibilities as aquariists, to help preserve the life forms that we desire and enjoy.

fshhub

one other thing, i dont believe they are reef safe, they eat both inverts and fish. so should be kept all alone as well.

dinhouse

From what I have read they look pretty plain. The only time they get colored up is when they are pissed off!!!

jawfishray

I have had an octopus and it was great for the short period that the little bugger was in the tank. The blue ring is protected and requires a great deal of red tape to be cut. If not an institution or science center I doubt very much that it would be allowed.
Try a regular octopus, preferablly a tank raised one. And a species only tank would be best.
And for all sanities sake get a bigger tank. Can you imagine being an artist, locked up in a 4'x8' cell for no reason for the rest of your life, without any art supplies or contact with anything to inspire you? Insanity, depression, and a loss of the will to live.
Get a bigger tank. You MUST have strong lever locks on every moving part. An octopus's beak is the same size as its eye. The rest of the body is completly able to squish into nearly anysmall hole. I had a 5' (tip to tip extended) octopus drop through a catch net with a hole size of no more than .5"; just plopped right onto the deck of the boat...and then the fun began.
Good luck if you are still interested.
Ray

aarone

If you want a blue ring come over to an LFS by my house. They will gladly show you how to properly piss it off to get the blue to come out...and then they will just tell you its a regular octopus...nothing special

yeah this did happen...I guess because i was 'cool' the salesman decided to let me in on their real name.:notsure: :mad:
do not buy one. very dangerous.
aaron

marvida

One of the LFS had one a year or so back. DINHOUSE was right as far as what the thing looked like. When agitated it was an amazing looking animal. As far as having one in a home aquarium, I'm thinking that they should stay in the ocean. But if you're an adult and really think you need one then I say let natural selection sort it out. JK, actually you need to take in the big picture as to what your liability might be. Young children, local animal laws, etc.