Thinking about adding a fish

g-stacks

Iam thinking about adding another fish to my 29g FOWLR tank, as of right now i have 2 clowns (seem to not be very aggresive) 1 yellow gobe, 2 cleaner shrimp, but my tank looks so empty to me(gobe is always hiding out, shrimp are usually hanging upside down somewhere behind LR) I want a reef safe fish i could add without a conflict with my other fish, iam still a newbie and unsure about which fish gett along any ideas?

J

jamiegrl

im a new at this too but some have suggested to me a royal gramma...
im in the same situation with my tank looking empty

reefer545

With a 29, you dont have a whole lot of choice. Teh fish you have are pretty much allyou can have. You are, frankly, b3etter, to make your takn a reef and add inverts/ coral. If you want a fowlr, you really need a MUCH larger tank to get the kind of movement you want. However, with a reef, you can keep those fish, plus add coral, other inverts, and the like, and really come out witha tank I think you meant to have in the first place. RESEARCH!!! Then you will be ok. As well, should you decide to go with the reef, BE PATIENT, AND RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!
Good luck, hope I didnt offend you at all, but in this hobby, it may have been worth it, and with time, you will know what I mean.

g-stacks

No, I understand i kinda fugured that with a 29 I couldn' thave to many fish
. But I did want another small fish oh well looks like i'll just begin my journey into coral

tinmanny

I agree with reefer545 you would be better off putting corals you are at the max for a small tank
Good luck
Manny

g-stacks

That sucks i really wanted a fire fish gobe. I have no experience with coral what should i start with, whats a frag, how do i feed them, anything special necessary? Thanks

You will want to start with easy things.. such as leathers, kenya tree, mushrooms, riccordea, zoo's (zoanthids). 130 watts will get you buy with anything I listed but Id go bigger if you can afford it such as t5's or metal halides.
A frag is just a small piece of coral, a little piece thats been broken off of the mother colony. as for feeding you really dont have to feed any of the coral I suggested and alot of corals can be just fine without feeding at all. just provide plenty of light and good water quality. good luck!
Also adding a firefish would probably not affect your tanks bioload much if at all. I would think its ok to add that fish based on its size but nothing larger for sure.

g-stacks

Originally Posted by warlock_king
You will want to start with easy things.. such as leathers, kenya tree, mushrooms, riccordea, zoo's (zoanthids). 130 watts will get you buy with anything I listed but Id go bigger if you can afford it such as t5's or metal halides.
A frag is just a small piece of coral, a little piece thats been broken off of the mother colony. as for feeding you really dont have to feed any of the coral I suggested and alot of corals can be just fine without feeding at all. just provide plenty of light and good water quality. good luck!
Also adding a firefish would probably not affect your tanks bioload much if at all. I would think its ok to add that fish based on its size but nothing larger for sure.
Thanks, for all the info. You just made my day iam picking up my firefish today(do you think it will have conflict w/my yellow gobe?) and glad to know that i can support some coral with the system i already have.

g-stacks

Should i start with a frag? I heard that you also have to glue corals to lr to make them stick how do you do that, take the LR and coral out the tank and glue?

The firefish may or may not get along with the other goby, just depends on the two fishes personallities. try him out and if its doesnt work return it to the store.
depending on what kind of coral you get you may or may not want to glue it down. many will just encrust to the rock on thier own. either way if you want to glue them in place just use some super glue gel. make sure its gel but any kind will work, just put a bit on the bottom of the frag and stick it to the rock while its in the tank and nothing to it. and as for starting with a frag, pretty much any coral is a frag technically.. just pick something you like that is a soft coral such as mushrooms, zoo's, etc.. good luck

g-stacks

I see that at the LFS really small frags at in these white containers would that be to small to start with?

depends on what they are frags of... your lights wont do SPS so if thats what your looking at dont get those.. but otherwise no frag is to small to start with. they all grow.

g-stacks

Kenya tree is bought, along with some hermit crabs to get my cleaning crew started. Will post pics in about a half hour. Is Calcium a needed supplement for this corral?