thinking about getting a new pet

hsanchez

me and the "chain and ball," were talking about getting another pet. We can't have dogs or cats. I was leaning more toward an Iguana, but not to sure how friendly they are.
what you guys recommend? I'm looking for something not too expensive.

babyb

i wouldnt recomend an iguana they get huge, i went to costa rica and they were in the streets and they were like 5 or 6 ft long they were just massive and girls make the same hormones or something like that that the male iguanas make so they want to fight
birds are nice, i had one that was awsome and it was like $8 so it was cheap
it was a parickeet (sp) it talked and sang and was just awsome

tangwhispr

Reptiles carry Salmonella...not a fun thing to get...do a google search to find out more...and iguanas are pretty mean as they older, I had a 5 1/2 foot one that I gave to my Highschool....Bearded Dragons or a uromastyx would be a better choice

sepulatian

Originally Posted by HSanchez
me and the "chain and ball," were talking about getting another pet. We can't have dogs or cats. I was leaning more toward an Iguana, but not to sure how friendly they are.
what you guys recommend? I'm looking for something not too expensive.
Well, what are you into? Iguanna's do get very large, and can carry salmonella. (I do belive that is when they are smaller though) My cousin used to have a 6 footer (including the tail) that was like a cat to her. Just hung around the house, walked across the top of her curtains. But what are you into? Do you like fuzzy or scaly? There are many options besides a dog or cat!

imurnamine

Chinchillas...
I've seen them for $80 before. I plan on getting one soon... Maybe it helps that I work at a Pet Store, haha.

whitey

First of all, all living things can carry Salmonella.
The age of the animal does not matter.
Proper hygiene will prevent these illnesses. Wash your hands before and after handeling them and you will be fine. Keeping the enclosure clean is extremely important.
I have kept just about everything in the past 15 years. If you're into lizards I'd suggest researching these:
Bearded Dragon
Veiled Chamlelon (Very cool, as are all True Chameleons, but you must research first and be prepared to maintain them properly otherwise they'll die.)
Uromastyx
Water Dragon (Good alternative to an Iguana. Similar look, smaller size)
No matter what you choose, please research the hell out of it first. Impulse buys are common and irresponsible. Many times people will buy a new animal because they fall in love with it on a Saturday and 3 months down the road, the animal suffers because you've lost interest, and you're out a couple hundred bucks. Obviously the animal suffering is worse than the money involved, but sometime people dont realize how much money they actually will have to invest in these animals.
If you any questions on pretty much anything, don't hesitate to ask.

joker_ca

Chinchillas Are Good Pets But They're Nocturnal And Make Squeaking Noises And You'll Hear Them Jumping Around. They Where One Of My Best Pets, Females Do Better In Pairs, And They Require A Pretty Big Cage Around 6ft Tall And 3ft Deep. Try Finding A Breeder And You'll Get A Cheaper Price Than A Pet Store And In Better Condition

alyssia

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
Chinchillas...
I've seen them for $80 before. I plan on getting one soon... Maybe it helps that I work at a Pet Store, haha.

That's what I was going to say! I love chins.

blazehok68

What About A Rat? I Know Many People Will Say That They Are Gross, But They Are Actually Pretty Cool. The More You Handle Them, The Friendlier Thy Become And Actually Just Chill Out Around You.

grips

What about a turtle?
Maybe a Red-eared slider. They are very common and cheap. They're easy to care for and the sliders I've had have always had great personalities.

fishygurl

Sugar Gliders but you would have to have a safe room to take them in to let them glide around and you would have to play with them everyday for atleast an hour and have to clean the cage every-every other day and you should get 2 females if you get them but they are quite spendy and you need a huge cage for them too.

alyssia

Originally Posted by grips
What about a turtle?
Maybe a Red-eared slider. They are very common and cheap. They're easy to care for and the sliders I've had have always had great personalities.

You can buy turtles in Illinois?

alyssia

Originally Posted by Whitey
You can't
buy turtles in Ohio?
]
Nope...you can only buy them if you are from a school or educational organization. I think it has something to do with salmonella but I'm not sure. I haven't seen a turtle in a pet shop in years.

whitey

Originally Posted by alyssia
]
Nope...you can only buy them if you are from a school or educational organization. I think it has something to do with salmonella but I'm not sure. I haven't seen a turtle in a pet shop in years.

The law in most states is that they must be at least 4 inches to sell them. Here, there are plenty of places you can buy them as babies if you know the right places, but it is still not technically legal to do so.
The reason is that kids would put baby turtles in their moth and get sick (sallmonella, etc.)
All reptiles can carry sallmonella, but so can a cat. It's a big misconception that turtles and lizards are the only things that can make you sick.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Whitey
The law in most states is that they must be at least 4 inches to sell them. Here, there are plenty of places you can buy them as babies if you know the right places, but it is still not technically legal to do so.
The reason is that kids would put baby turtles in their moth and get sick (sallmonella, etc.)
All reptiles can carry sallmonella, but so can a cat. It's a big misconception that turtles and lizards are the only things that can make you sick.

That makes sense. I knew that lizards carry salmonella, so I wondered why you could buy those but not turtles.

petjunkie

Turtles aren't easy to keep either, they need about 100 gallons per turtle and you shouldn't house in group and they are filthy, requiring a super filter and almost total water change weekly, plus UVB and heat lights like most reptiles. You can't really keep them in a ten gallon forever, they get deformed inside from lack of space and their shell get rot and curved and then they die. Trust me, I found all about turtles when I was given a bunch of babies that quickly went back the wild after I researched their care.