Thinking about getting back in...

I've been out of the hobby for a couple months now and have been missing it, sorta. All of my aquariums have seem to be disasters and right now I just want something simple and cheap. I've had a 125g FO and got one of those fancy salt testers, but I misread the directions so I kept adding FW to the test meaning I basicly had double the salt levels it read. Needless to say it didn't end well, but some fish did make it out alive. That aquarium is sitting in my garage, but I have no room to set it up inside. I also got a 24g Aquapod, but had Metal Hallides which that plus me having to always have the cieling fan on did not end well either. But eventually I got tired of it and tried to sell it, but the glass broke. So I have a stand for it sitting in the garage also I could use. I also have the rock, but it's dried. I don't think it matters if I soak it in water right?
I would like to have a simple nano tank that's cheap and isn't needy. I was thinking of getting another aquapod but leave the hood on it, but I found that the pump was a crap and I never had enough water flow or filtration.
And trying to put a powerhead in there was a pain with the hood.
So anyone have a solution?
Go with an aquapod or get a new stand and glass/acrylic aquarium?
All I'm planning to get are a couple of fish, don't plan on trying once again to have an awesome reef like you see other people have on here. Just want something I can enjoy and not end up being a failure.
Thanks in advance for the help.

flower

Originally Posted by Sooner_Reefer
http:///forum/post/3114291
I've been out of the hobby for a couple months now and have been missing it, sorta. All of my aquariums have seem to be disasters and right now I just want something simple and cheap. I've had a 125g FO and got one of those fancy salt testers, but I misread the directions so I kept adding FW to the test meaning I basicly had double the salt levels it read. Needless to say it didn't end well, but some fish did make it out alive. That aquarium is sitting in my garage, but I have no room to set it up inside. I also got a 24g Aquapod, but had Metal Hallides which that plus me having to always have the cieling fan on did not end well either. But eventually I got tired of it and tried to sell it, but the glass broke. So I have a stand for it sitting in the garage also I could use. I also have the rock, but it's dried. I don't think it matters if I soak it in water right?
I would like to have a simple nano tank that's cheap and isn't needy. I was thinking of getting another aquapod but leave the hood on it, but I found that the pump was a crap and I never had enough water flow or filtration.
And trying to put a powerhead in there was a pain with the hood.
So anyone have a solution?
Go with an aquapod or get a new stand and glass/acrylic aquarium?
All I'm planning to get are a couple of fish, don't plan on trying once again to have an awesome reef like you see other people have on here. Just want something I can enjoy and not end up being a failure.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Well first, welcome back to the hobby.
You sound like you are just settling.
Why don’t you get a few really good books on saltwater aquariums. Being on this site and some reading you can have that reef and really enjoy it too.
That being said, the smaller the tank, the more difficult to keep the water it in proper parameters. The larger the tank the more room for error before disaster.
So you should get the biggest tank your house can manage, if the 125g is too large…A 90g is the same length as a 55g. just 48 inches long.
Take your time and go really slow, we will help you step by step. We will help you decide what equipment is good and what is just expensive. Even stock lists on what gets along with what.
It sounds like you really want a reef, and you won’t be happy with just fish. If I can do this…believe me, you can do this. The help on this site is amazing.

I read a lot of books when I first got into the hobby: the Conscientious Marine Aquarists, Clownfish, and Sharks and Rays (forgot the authors of each), and have been on the boards for a long time on a different account, so I'm not exactly a newbie but I have made a lot of mistakes and just need to make sure I don't make them again.
A 55g sounds great, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I would like a reef, but that's just way too much maintence and money for me. I have a lot of HOB filters from my 125g, which I found worked great for my other aquariums besides the 24g which it can't fit onto.
I suppose I could try to sell my 125g once again to help pay for a 55g, though I was hoping to keep it till after college or once I get my own place. Like I said, I don't want to go all out or try to go all out again, now I'm in high school and there are other things I'm saving money for, like a car.
I don't care about having the coolest reef or something that gets me major bragging rights on here like some people, I just want something easy that I can enjoy.

C

cardstars

Originally Posted by Sooner_Reefer
http:///forum/post/3114419
I don't care about having the coolest reef or something that gets me major bragging rights on here like some people, I just want something easy that I can enjoy.
Its not about bragging rights - its just a serious hobby for some
You ultimately have to decide what you can fit into your place and what you can afford, and then go from there once you decide what your budget looks like.