thinking about giving it up

clown123

well i now this sounds dumb but im thinkng of taking down my 55g and 20g everytime i get a fish its been dying of ick and know there isnt a fish left in the tank i still have the 24g aquapod with my pair but im thinking of taking the others down wat do u guys think wat would u do??????

zanoshanox

Are the deaths completely unexplained? or are the related to your water parameters? Have you tested them recently?

zanski

NEVER give up. Patience is a virtue. But i dont know why you keep getting ick... IMO i Would ditch the 20 gallon keep the larger. What kind of fish are you putting in the 55 gal.?? Ever thought of just starting over with the 55 gallon??

clown123

ive kinda been an abuser after i lost all of my fish and i only had one clarki left and none of my friends would take him so he died the stuff in my 20g are still alive like the feather dusters the flame scallop and the bta but idk if i should do it all again and have this happen again!

clown123

o i have my frien tells me to start over all the time and im like damian i have NO money im thinkin on taking this $20 i have and getting salt and putting it back up 2morrow!

clown123

i think im gonna start off with the 55g and just get 2clowns and a bta and see how i do with that and get some corals for mt aquapod does that plan sound good? :happyfish

lion_crazz

My best advice to you is to research more things before you just buy them. Buy things that are appropriate for your tank. Having two tangs in a 55 is a bad idea. Putting 8 fish into a 55 gallon tank is an extremely bad idea, especially when you are mixing things like batfish and triggers and damsels. Not to be too harsh, but I could have told you that you were going to fail and you would have saved all of your money.
Bubble tip anemones need very strong lighting. Before you go putting corals anemones, do you have strong lighting? Most corals and all anemones benefit from a mature aquarium. You are just going to keep running into problems if you do not do your research BEFORE making a purchase. Then again, this may be like beating a dead horse because many people have told you this in the past and it does not seem like you listen to any of them. Please, please do some research first before you put anything else into your tank. I am saying this to help you, not to riducule whatsoever. This way, you do not waste any more money, get upset about things dying, and no helpless animals have to die because of ignorance.

psusocr1

there are some frustarting moments in satwater keeping but those experiences only make you stronger as a keep and a better keeper from your mistakes.. we have all gone through them and beleive me ive seen my share of mistakes some VERY VERY expensive ones also!!! but dont gibe up youll regret it int he long run..just tae your time and relax...my blue hippo was bordeline dead and because i stuck with her shes is now healthy as can be! if i gave up i would have regret it i know it....

clown123

yea that was pretty dumb if i look back on that now but i was just excited to have those fish i wasnt thinking about them fighting but besides a bta what do u think would be the easiest for me besides a CONDY lol

lion_crazz

Well, no matter what, you need to get proper lighting. Bubble tips are the easiest hosting type of anemone, but even they need strong lighting. What kind of lighting are you running now? You said you had corals in mind?

barbiganti

No point in quitting just because it gets tough for you. Save up your money, and like Lion Crazz stated, do your homework before setting a tank up. He's also definitely right about using proper (halide) lighting for a tank with anemones and reefs. The reason for this is because anemones and corals are in mutualistic symbiosis with algae (called zooxanthellae) that live inside of and photosynthesize the food for the anemones and corals. Everyone wants a new hobbyist to succeed and stick with the hobby, because it's another person who wants to learn about marine science, bioconservation, and what role we can play to both educate the public and play our part to conserve the world's coral reefs. As saltwater aquarists, we have a responsibility to learn how to do things the right way before trying them if at all possible, because unlike freshwater fish, there are not many species of saltwaters that have been bred in captivity. We still depend on wild populations for the most part. Conservation of saltwater fish is going to depend in large part on some of the things that we as hobbyists learn. The Banggai Cardinal is a prime example. In the wild, it is a threatened species, on the verge of becoming endangered. But because it is a very hardy species in captivity, easily bred and tank-raised, there's hope that a captive breeding program can be implemented that would allow for reintroduction into the wild in areas where the Banggai can recolonize. That wouldn't be possible without hobbyists getting involved and learning about its behavior and mating habits.