Thinking about HOT Refuge

cam78

Can anyone show me a piture of thier HOT Refuge form the tank view. I bought an overflow but took it out because it was so big and ugly from the tanks view. Can you guys give me some poiters on the HOt and also what companies are recommended. Pros and cons. Please send your pics of them. Thank you

sylvius

I had the CPR large aquafuge with light fixture on my 55 until I upgraded tanks and I loved it. I had it behind the tank, so you couldn't see much of it from in front of the tank except the intake powerhead and the output. However, those parts of it looked pretty clean like most CPR stuff (in my opinion). In short, I loved it. It holds just under 5 gal of water, which is like expanding your total water volume by almost 10%. I had chaeto growing in it and definitely noticed lower nitrates within a few weeks. There was also about an inch of live sand and a few pieces of live rock which had pods on them. I found myself craining my neck over the tank looking at the fuge so much that I seriously considered hanging it on the front of my tank. In short, I think they a good thing and definitely recommend the CPR ones. They aren't cheap, but they are less than some brands and are really good quality. The light fixture you can get with it looks nice and works well (the chaeto was growing like mad). Good luck.

cam78

Thank you for replying. How does this work when power is off? Aso you say that there isn't much of an ugly look inside the tank from the front view?

cam78

I had everything ready, sump, overflow, pump the whole shabam. Put the overflow in and it looked disgusting. The overflow was huge especially in a 46 gallon tank. Sux but thats the deal.