thinking about starting saltwater

rbby228

ive been taking care of FW and i think i wanna take care of SW ive got a few questions
1. what do you think about 29 gal biocube
2. in my FW i sift through my gravel to look for debris how do i remove debris in sand without clouding water
3. is biocube lighting sufficent for a reef
4. do i need live sand/rock
5. live rock is basically reef right?
6. how do i know my tap water is safe for any crusteceans/fish
7. is SW really as hard as everyone says it is or will daily,weekly,and monthly upkeep keep it easy
8. how many fish/ crusteceans can i keep in a 29 gal
9. how many pounds of live rock how many inches of play sand/ live sand should i put
10. and if you guys think i should be asking any other questions about SW please tell me
11. how much salt per gallon
12. how often and how much water do you change out
P.S. its my first post
EDIT: i fergot to ask what does a skimmer do and any other equipment that SW requires that FW doesnt

fenrir

1. The 29g is great! I have the 14g version and I have no issues with the brand.
2. If you use Live Sand and aquire the right Clean up crew you shouldn't have to do any kind of debris pick up. It will aslo help putting an extra powerhead in the tank to keep in debris in the water column.
3. You can keep most soft corals just fine. I have frogspawn, Duncans, Zoos and Rics in mt 14.
4. I would highly recomend both.
5. There are different types of Live rock. Most of it is just farmed lace rock that has been sitting in tanks for long periods of time and it will pick up beneficial bacteria.
6. I wouldn't use tap water at ALL. Unless you want to invest in a realy nice Reverse Osmosis unit. I would go to wallmart and pick up the water there for 64cents.
7. In my oppinion it is easier than fresh in many ways. The main two things I follow is patience, patience and stay on top of water changes.
8.Depends on the size of the fish. I have two in my 14
9. There is a calculator somewhere on this site. Sorry
10. You should be asking anything you like, this is an awesome site to get info off of.
11. I do a 20% water change every week.
Welcome to the Boards!

king_neptune

First of all Welcome!!! I'm pleased to meet you. I am by no means an expert...but I will pass on any knowledge i have gained to you anytime I can. I'm a budding saltwater enthusiast myself, and am setting up my first 125 reef tank in about 6 weeks.
ok.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Only thing I can say is the larger the better. Bigger means easier to maintain.That said....I still think with care and patients a 29 will be a great little system. Get in your head a picture of what you want to focus on....fish?Inverts?Corals? from there you will act acordingly.
2. Cleanup crew!! Bottom feeders love to eat poop!SNails,Crabs,blennies ect.
3.Yes they sell special ligting for tanks that size. There are 2 basic types. T5(and similar lights) and MH(Metal Halide). You have to determin what types of corals you want in your REEF tanks. SPS your gonna need MH lights.A good way to look at it is this: If its bright and pretty like the colors of a rainbow...chances are its gonna need MH. Another thing is MH lights add a "Shimmer" effect that T5's do not. Personally I like the look of the shimmering water on the surface of your tank, so its worth paying 3x-5x the price for MH lights. Smaller lights just means a micro sized reef. The 125 Im doing is larger so gets larger lights, but its all scale, after all, we are simulating a VAST ocean.
4.Yes. About 1.5 inch of sand. Its all about bio filtrations. You want to simulate what the ocean has as much as possible. One-1.5 lbs of rock per gallon. Deep sand beds are a thing of the past, they can really backfire. Ask around, everyone will agree. I would consider a 20 gallon sump system underneath your display tank. In there I would put a small skimmer,live rock(with a bit of chaeto and a cheap light), and a return pump. A hang on skimmer in the back would do fine as well. If I could choose anything as most important, a skimmer would be the way to go.(it does the same thing as when the ocean waves wash up foam)
5.Yes/No. It is the spine. It is the base on which everything builds. It is also the storage of all kinds of usefull bacteria, and a sleeping place for lots of animals.All your corals and inverts are attached to the rock.But it is your other stuff that you will add as time goes on that I would consider "The reef".
6.If you like drinking it, its probably OK for your fish. I will have people disagree with me. But I live in the country and have a private well that comes direct from the mountain glacier. I love my water and hate city water. Some fish stores sell premixxed water. Usually about 5 gallons for $5. Or you can go to wallmart and buy RO-DI water from the water vending machine for like .29 a gallon, this is a very popular method as well. A 29gallon tank wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to get set up. Your testing your water anyways, so you will see any harm full levels long before you actually put the water in your tank.
7.Its hard. But thats the fun. Go slow and steady. Honestly if you have in mind that will be 3-4 months before you evin put in your first fish, and then mabee 1 fish or invert ect a month your ok. Your daily upkeep might be alittle extreme, do it daily of course when you first start out...but after some time and it gets established once a week for a couple hours should be more than enough time spent. A good normal saturday routine...same as anyone else who mows the lawn or washes the car.
8.Rule of thumb: 1inch of fish per 1 gallon. I dont know about crustaceans. Also remember that some fish breeds are in need of a large tank because they move ALOT! I would think around 7 fish would be about a good number for a tank that small. Save the rest for inverts and the like.Too much leaves to problems. Becuase they poop. and sweat amonia.
9.30-50lbs of rock. and keep it around 1.5 inches tops. Gives the bottom feeders enough sand to do their thing...but you aren't risking have your sand blow up in your face in a couple years, when it can no longer hold its bacteria.
10. Read the stikkies at the top of this page...they are FANTASITC source of noobie knowledge. From there you will have MANY questions. Post them and someone will answer. I did, and it helped alot.
11. I don't know...never mixed salt before. I was gonna add a little at a time till I get the right density.
12. THis is a good debate. 20% water change a month is a good number. Some will do it all at once...others will do it a little at a time. Me personally? I think 5-10% a week should be common practice. Rather than all at once. So you will be needing 2-3milk jugs a week(less than 5bucks a week isn't bad at all). That should be cake for you. one quick scoop and one deposit and your set.

rbby228

well about the tap water i live in NYC so yeah... but i def would drink it
EDIT: scratch that i definitely would not drink it besides a sip but no wal-mart here in NYC for cheap water and only pet store near me is ***** which are a tad bit expensive but im willing to pay if i enjoy the hobby (which i will)

fenrir

Any large grocery chain will have RO water for cheap. I would highly recomend not to use tap water for anything in our tanks. I started with tap when I started and it took me months to get rid of all of the extra phosphates out of my tank...

redsea

welcome to the hobby and welcome to the fourm! a 29 gallon sounds when you get your tank post some pics

fenrir

Yeah that would work great for a sump! The more water volume you have the better, especialy for someone who is new to SW. Post some pics of your tank as soon as you can.

rbby228

itll take me a while to post pics because im 15 yrs old and my parents dont want me dropping 500+ lol ill try to go by it slowly by finding nice SW store bringing my parents in showing the nice fishies and well see how well go from there
but while im here could i use the 29 biocube temporarily for my FW then if my parents will let me convert it to SW

fenrir

That would be fine to use it as a FW, just make sure you don't treat the tank with any kind of medicine. eg. Copper If you do the chemicals will stay in the glass and inhibit you from keeping any invertibrates.