thinking of a deeper sandbed

T

tygerfifteen

I have a 1-2 inch sand bed right now of about half southdown half larger sized argonite.
I wanted to add about 2 more inches, i was wondering if I could just add the sand on top of the existing sand,I have some hair algae and some snails,fighting conches.
Would I cause damage by covering the(unwanted) hair algae?,like some die off?I was going to add a little at a time without moving the liverock.
tank is a 77 gallon with 150 lbs LR.reef, with about 8 corals.
thankx

dad

I think you would have no problems at all.
A 4" DSB would be a GREAT addition!
You can do a search here and find the best ways to add the sand. Good luck, ;)

hirock

A quick question for the OP:
Why do you feel that two more inches of sand will help? The 1 - 2" you have presently should be sufficient in maintaining your system. I'm just curious, scratching my head, saying why...
As the previous poster stated, they are a time bomb waiting to go off!
If you want to cure the hair algae problem, nutrient exportation and limitation is the key.
:)

dad

Hummm, I will NOT get into a debate here about DSB's.
But a 4" to 6" DSB is the best thing for a reef tank. period
Siphon sand? Get real?
Like I said. I will not debate this.
This is my opinion. Take it or leave it, ;)

cmack

I had about 2 inches of Southdown in my tank for a year, then ecided I wanted it deeper in some areas. I added more southdown on top of what was ther (hair algae and some cyano). The only problem was the cloudy water for about 2 days afterward. Get a length of PVC to dump the sand through, so you can direct it where you want it.
I also ended up getting a sand sifting star, and have not had any problems with algae on the sand bed since.

clarkiiboi

What kind of sand are you going to use? If southdown or argonite I would cure it for a few weeks, there is a recent post on this. That said, after cured or if the bagged type at the LFS, only add a little at a time (giving critters a chance to get out and not over doing it). The PVC tube is a good idea, but the sand needs to be wet when going in, better in the long run--but if bagged LFS sand its already wet, just take some time and not add at 1 time --101 with sw nothing is fast or easy. HTH