Thinking of a small shark or ray?

crashbandicoot

I would say yes it applies as rays are heavy bio load . Maybe even more so than sharks . Rays are fed daily where as sharks are fed once or twice a week. More food in more waste out .

fish crazy

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
I would say yes it applies as rays are heavy bio load . Maybe even more so than sharks . Rays are fed daily where as sharks are fed once or twice a week. More food in more waste out .
ok

mike22cha

Originally Posted by Fish Crazy
hey does the 5 post apply to stingrays as well?
Yep, rays have just as much bio-load as a shark. So the sump and large skimmer are a must. The fine sand applies more to rays since they bury themselves in it. A UV is good to help reduce diseases or any other harmful thing. Rays need more swimming room so I'd say little to no live rock.

fish crazy

anybody that has a ray or shark tank got any pics of your sump, skimmer, ect? just want to see how every one has it. and also is a horn shark or epaulette shark good in a 220?

mike22cha

anybody that has a ray or shark tank got any pics of your sump, skimmer, ect? just want to see how every one has it. and also is a horn shark or epaulette shark good in a 220?
In a 220g(which is 96"x24"x24" I believe correct me if I'm wrong) you could get away with a cortez or marbled catshark, but they would eventualy need a 30" wide tank IMO.
Try a 6' or 7' longx3' or 2.5' widex2' tall tank if possible.
Try using the search option on this forum or just google shark tanks. The setup is very similar to any other reef-ready tanks. Usualy consists of a sump, which contains a skimmer, live rock, and a refegium. Then it is pumped back into the tank and usualy goes out a closed loop system since sharks are sensitive to electrical currents so powerheads aren't the best idea.

fish crazy

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
In a 220g(which is 96"x24"x24" I believe correct me if I'm wrong) you could get away with a cortez or marbled catshark, but they would eventualy need a 30" wide tank IMO.
Try a 6' or 7' longx3' or 2.5' widex2' tall tank if possible.
Try using the search option on this forum or just google shark tanks. The setup is very similar to any other reef-ready tanks. Usualy consists of a sump, which contains a skimmer, live rock, and a refegium. Then it is pumped back into the tank and usualy goes out a closed loop system since sharks are sensitive to electrical currents so powerheads aren't the best idea.

ok well i really dont have a tank or anything yet but ive been doing alot of reasearch, and i really want to put up a 220 shark and ray tank i am thinking 72" x 24" x 30"
(trying to bring down the 72 to like 60 somthing.) what do you think? any advice?

mike22cha

ok well i really dont have a tank or anything yet but ive been doing alot of reasearch, and i really want to put up a 220 shark and ray tank i am thinking 72" x 24" x 30"
(trying to bring down the 72 to like 60 somthing.) what do you think? any advice?
If that is a custom tank, I'd spend the extra bucks and get it 72"x30"x24". Otherwise you couldn't keep any shark/ray for life, maybe for a while.
There is also an overlooked filtration system which is not so complex(i'll draw you a diagram of a sump in a minute) which is a cheaper, more natural way.
1. You get as many (probably 2 for a 6' long tank) Hang Over Back Refegiuems and back it with live mud, cheato, maybe mangroves, etc.
2. You get as much live rock as possible and stack it on the back, get as much as possible.
3. Lots and lots of live sand.
4. Normal filters (underground gravel or hang over back power filters(if you got the room)).
I'll get on paint and show you what I'm talking about in a min.

fish crazy

If that is a custom tank, I'd spend the extra bucks and get it 72"x30"x24". Otherwise you couldn't keep any shark/ray for life, maybe for a while.
There is also an overlooked filtration system which is not so complex(i'll draw you a diagram of a sump in a minute) which is a cheaper, more natural way.
1. You get as many (probably 2 for a 6' long tank) Hang Over Back Refegiuems and back it with live mud, cheato, maybe mangroves, etc.
2. You get as much live rock as possible and stack it on the back, get as much as possible.
3. Lots and lots of live sand.
4. Normal filters (underground gravel or hang over back power filters(if you got the room)).
I'll get on paint and show you what I'm talking about in a min.

Ok I appreciate that. thanks am not sure right now maybe i change my mind on that tank size its way to big now that i noticed, am realyy tight on space. would a corner tank work? if not i will put it in my dads house

mike22cha

A corner tank would not be better. Sharks/rays need length(6' min.) and width(2' wide is pushing it)
Here's a pic of the filtration types. At the top it's the average sump with skimmer and refegieum. Bottom is a pic of a tank that uses natural filtration and some HOB Power filters, maybe even a canister filter.

mike22cha

Ok I appreciate that. thanks am not sure right now maybe i change my mind on that tank size its way to big now that i noticed, am realyy tight on space. would a corner tank work? if not i will put it in my dads house
A 220g or 180g could work for a while. If you go with a cortez ray then you'd be fine for some years. They only grow around 2" per year, so if you bought it small you may be fine.

fish crazy

A corner tank would not be better. Sharks/rays need length(6' min.) and width(2' wide is pushing it)
Here's a pic of the filtration types. At the top it's the average sump with skimmer and refegieum. Bottom is a pic of a tank that uses natural filtration and some HOB Power filters, maybe even a canister filter.
wow thanks i might just do the average pump. it looks like i will be doing it at my dads house i will probably order the tank on august that gives me time to make some money and think of what i should do, can you give me a good tank mesurment for a yellow sting ray and a horn shark or epaulette shark?

mike22cha

wow thanks i might just do the average pump. it looks like i will be doing it at my dads house i will probably order the tank on august that gives me time to make some money and think of what i should do, can you give me a good tank mesurment for a yellow sting ray and a horn shark or epaulette shark?
For those, fullgrown, 10'x4'x2'.
Just wondering, are you prepared to spend over 3,000$ and pay 100$ a month for maintence?

krj-1168

I wouldn't recommend any tank smaller than a 72" L x 30" W x 24" T for an adult Marbled or Coral Catshark. Even then you want as much swimming room as possible with a Live rock cave for a hiding place.
As for filtration - you'll need what ever kind of filtration to keep it and maintain the nitrogen levels at 0 ppm (basically complete de-nitrification).
Some people use - the mechanical route - with Skimmers, Sumps, & Bio-towers. Other go more natural - with refugiums, Live Rock, Live Sand, Live Mudd, Mangroves, & macro-algae.

fish crazy

For those, fullgrown, 10'x4'x2'.
Just wondering, are you prepared to spend over 3,000$ and pay 100$ a month for maintence?
yes i am but just Curious what do you do that you spend a 100 dollars on maintenence

fish crazy

Originally Posted by krj-1168
I wouldn't recommend any tank smaller than a 72" L x 30" W x 24" T for a n adult Marbled or Coral Catshark. Even then you want as much swimming room as possible with a Live rock cave for a hiding place.
As for filtration - you'll need what ever kind of filtration to keep it and maintain the nitrogen levels at 0 ppm (basically complete de-nitrification).
Some people use - the mechanical route - with Skimmers, Sumps, & Bio-towers. Other go more natural - with refugiums, Live Rock, Live Sand, Live Mudd, Mangroves, & macro-algae.
ok

mike22cha

yes i am but just Curious what do you do that you spend a 100 dollars on maintenence
Well do you have an RO/DI system? You're looking at at least 50g water changes. If you figure all the food they are going to eat, plus the salt, etc. The bigger the tank and mroe sharks/rays the more expensive it's going to get. It can be done as cheap as you want, but that's the average I'd prepare for. You're also going to have money for incase of emergency pops up.

fish crazy

Well do you have an RO/DI system? You're looking at at least 50g water changes. If you figure all the food they are going to eat, plus the salt, etc. The bigger the tank and mroe sharks/rays the more expensive it's going to get. It can be done as cheap as you want, but that's the average I'd prepare for. You're also going to have money for incase of emergency pops up.
i dont but my dad does and thats were i will have the tank so theres no problem their. how often should i do my water changes in a shark/ray tnak. and i will be ready for the maintenence.

mike22cha

i dont but my dad does and thats were i will have the tank so theres no problem their. how often should i do my water changes in a shark/ray tnak. and i will be ready for the maintenence.
maybe every other week. obviously quanity depends on the tank size.
Just monitor your nitrate and ammonia levels very closely. Sharks are sensitive fish.