Thinking of becoming a Police Officer....

buzz

Rye - I was a Police Officer for 4 years and will agree with all above. It is a great profession to get in to. I have an AAS in Criminal Justice as well.
Be prepared for a long process. There are repeat psychological evaluations, physical training and a lot of book work and role play.
Do yourself a favor. In all psych tests and meetings with psychologists, etc., just be honest. Don't try to "read" into the test and answer what you think they want to hear. I remember my written psych test. It was hundreds of questions, and took about 3 1/2 hours to finish.
I remember two of my favorite true/false questions. "When I am alone, I feel like hurting myself and others.- T/F" or "When I am in high places, I feel like jumping.- T/F"
I just about dropped out of my chair laughing - I thought that anyone who would actually answer true to those questions deserves not to be a cop. But yet, some people fail the test, so... :thinking:
Anyway, that's my advice other than study hard and apply yourself. It can be very rewarding. All the best to you.

ryebread

Johnic - Good luck to you too!
Buzz - I can't wait for all of these tests. :D I've also heard a question on the polygraph is, "Have you ever had intercourse with an animal?". I hope so badly that I can refrain myself from saying...."Does that include roadkill?"

ekclark

Hey rye...nice to see your still kicking. I am in the process of getting my masters of education so i can teach high school english. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life until my senior year of college...after I had done all my stuff to be an english major. It has been tough to do all this stuff and I wish I had majored in education to begin with, but when you find something that just feels right, then hell, you do what you need to do to make it work. I am so behind where I expected to be at 26, but I now know how i want to spend my life and it will start soon enough. I found this article and I thought you might find it interesting
http://slate.msn.com/id/2102437