Thinking of getting a tatoo.

katiev

It hurts for the first hour or so, then feels "okay"...then after a couple of hours, gets really sore. That's probably the worst part -- afterwards you feel like you've just been beaten or worked out a ton.
I just got my first tattoo finished on March 19th. It was a total of six-seven hours of work on my lower back, right on the most knobby part of my spine. It was funny -- this big ol' burly guy covered in tattoos getting inked in the booth next to me looked over through the window at 110-pound me and said, "Wow! That must hurt so bad!" I'm starting a half sleeve when I pull the money together. I'm moving to another town about 3 hours away next year, and want to have it done by my guy before I leave.
Good luck! Make sure you go to a reputable shop (they should have certificates hanging on the wall for licenses, knowledge of bloodborne pathogens, etc.) and look through all of their portfolios before making your decision.

nu2salt

don't make the mistake i did!!! i got the outline done went to work and 8 hrs later had it colored in.
.but that was the second tat i ever got and now i have around 20. with my left arm about 75% sleeved. yes i'm an addict.and about 50 60% sleeved on the right.
sidenote: my tattoo guy works for me.
reefkprz....do you have any skulls and demon flash you have drawn up?

breineach1

I have several tattoos from a few different artists, and the most important thing, imo, is that you go to an experienced artist who is experienced in the kind of art you want (tribal, fantasy, portrait, black/white, etc). Price doesn't matter, travel time doesn't matter- the artist matters. You do NOT want to get stuck having to do a cover up piece later! Get TONS of referrals- stop people on the street, they're usually happy to talk about their tats. After 10 years & 4 different artists, there is only 1 person I allow to do my work now. Oh, and 1 more thing, when you do decide to get it done, remember to TIP your artist well for his/her skills!

its cliche, but tattoos are a form of expression. if you like it thats what matters.
i myself try to involve things i am passionate about, things that are important to me.
be creative make sure your not acting on impulse.
a tattoo wont stop you from obtaining carear goals. developing skills and maintaining desire will get you there.
HAVE FUN!

larryndana

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
if you want to look at some flash art I can post some pics of stuff I have drawn out, I did tattooing for a while. I dont have any stone wolves though.
hey, do you have any gingerbread houses....would look cool on my arm or chest. wonder if my wife would mind. :jumping:
oh what about unicorns? :notsure:

rylan1

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
stay above the elbows. Not trying to start a war or hijack his thread, but please keep keep it in mind. The guys that say screw it and "I can just wear long sleeves" pump gas for a living most times.

Times are changing... this isn't neccesarly true anymore!!! Just don't put it on your neck or face.

life savers......... i dont know, it just keeps my mind off the noise and the little bit of pain........... call it what you will???????

king4345

Originally Posted by teen
agreed.
actaully, if you dont mind getting it on your leg, i think that would be even better. tattoos below the elbows just dont look good when you have to dress up and its nice out, especially for occasions like weddings.
I beg to differ on this. I know a few full sleeve people who have very respectable jobs; police officers, business managers, and hey almost every rockstar on the tube....

zman1

Originally Posted by king4345
I beg to differ on this. I know a few
full sleeve people who have very respectable jobs; police officers, business managers, and hey almost every rockstar on the tube....
I think you just supported Teen's position.
Originally Posted by reefforbrains

Yeah if you guys are sleeved then you know exactly what I am saying, you think I am making a character attack? come on...I still believe it is sound advise for someone thinking about thier FIRST tattoo. Dropping below the elbow is a serious commitment that I personally dont think someone should make when they are 16-20 years old. JMO
Ditto. It's the under 21 group that's the most lucrative for the Tattoo Parlors.
That is why they were and are fighting to have the laws in Illinois changed to 18. The good governor vetoed the change and it's still 21.
Whether you agree with stereotyping or not, concerning tattoo's, especially below elbow or even seen while in the workplace anywhere on your body. The white collar world typically does and those are the folks that will be hiring you for the white collar jobs. Just something to think about...

armandoc

Originally Posted by Breineach1
I have several tattoos from a few different artists, and the most important thing, imo, is that you go to an experienced artist who is experienced in the kind of art you want (tribal, fantasy, portrait, black/white, etc). Price doesn't matter, travel time doesn't matter- the artist matters. You do NOT want to get stuck having to do a cover up piece later! Get TONS of referrals- stop people on the street, they're usually happy to talk about their tats. After 10 years & 4 different artists, there is only 1 person I allow to do my work now. Oh, and 1 more thing, when you do decide to get it done, remember to TIP your artist well for his/her skills!
I agree with Breineach1...
I got my first tattoo when I was JR in highschool and when I entered the service, I "aquired" 7 more tattoos my first year in. If I could take it all back, I would definately would have done my research first as far as artists are concerned. The only reputable artist I went and saw was Tiger Jimmy in San Diego, CA. Awesome work and took his time and made sure everything came out the way that I wanted it to look.
Tattoos don't hurt IMO, especially if you get one from an artist that has been in the business for awhile. I have 8 tattoos, which if I can remember correctly, only 1 of them hurt, and most of the others, you couldn't even tell he was doing anything until they were done.
Hope you find a great artist and that you enjoy your tat for many years to come. I know I do!
BTW... welcome to the club! If you get into it enough, you'll end up spending money on tats like you do your SWF equipment/stock!

larryndana

ArmandoC,
i'm sorry, but your saying that the level of hurt can be because of the artist. is this true?
i don't have any, so i wouldn't know, just curious.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by larryndana
ArmandoC,
i'm sorry, but your saying that the level of hurt can be because of the artist. is this true?
yes the one on my back didnt hurt at all the one on my arm almost put me in tears the artist had a very heavy hand

larryndana

Originally Posted by reefreak29
yes the one on my back didnt hurt at all the one on my arm almost put me in tears the artist had a very heavy hand
gotcha, i've never thought about it.

armandoc

Originally Posted by larryndana
ArmandoC,
Larryndana,
Sorry... would have responded sooner, was out of town.
Like reefreak mentioned, some artists are considered to have what is called a "heavy hand", where you feel every moment of the needle moving across your skin. In my case, I caught this guy first thing in the morning and was coming back for some touch up work and some other tat's which might have made him mad to begin with. This was probobly my fault, but hey, I needed the touch up work done so I "paid for it" I guess. Needless to say, that was the last time I used that guy for a tattoo.
Hope this helps.

larryndana

Originally Posted by ArmandoC
Larryndana,
Sorry... would have responded sooner, was out of town.
Like reefreak mentioned, some artists are considered to have what is called a "heavy hand", where you feel every moment of the needle moving across your skin. In my case, I caught this guy first thing in the morning and was coming back for some touch up work and some other tat's which might have made him mad to begin with. This was probobly my fault, but hey, I needed the touch up work done so I "paid for it" I guess. Needless to say, that was the last time I used that guy for a tattoo.
Hope this helps.
thanks, i don't have any tats....and didn't really even think about it that way. but i understand the heavy hand thing now.

gixxer54

artists with "heavy hands" defineatly hurt more. i can feel the raised lines on my tattoos from those artists. i have tats on my back, arms, leg, and i am currently working on a sleeve on my right arm... close to half done.. my artist now doesnt have heavy hands and the work came out great. oh yea... by the way.. just cuz we have sleeves and visible tattoos, dont mean we "pump gas" for a living. If ur going to get a tattoo do your homework.... a lot of crappy artists out there... i would suggest looking at the work, not the price.... you know the old saying.. you get what you pay for... just my 2 cents...