Thinking of settin up a FOWLR

Well when I got my 105g sett up I was planning up setting it up as a reef tank w/ a few fish...Now I'm thinking of going with more of FOWLR tank and have a few ?'s.
A: I have 250#+ of South Down sand i was going to use for a DSB in the reef, should i still use a DSB in a FOWLR tank??
B: I have a wet/dry sump w/bioballs Should I use it??(I was going to go w/a DIY sump/Ref. in the "reef" set up)
C: I have a have a UV unit and a Ozone unit,
and heard that they aren't good for reef tanks because they will kill some of the bacteria that is good corals etc. and that they are good for FO tanks, so want to use them...a: will they X out a DSB? b:Can I still have some types of corals in a FOWLR while useing UV/Ozone?? (I would like to have some shrooms,xenia,etc.)
Well I think I may have confused you enough for now w/ these ?'s Hope you can help me :rolleyes:
Thanks, Mark

Yes use the Southdown, i used it and am totally satisfied. Is the LR cured? because you need to see the sand for it to become LS, another thing is, when using a DSB, with a wet/dry, take out the Bioballs. They are counter productive to the purpose of the DSB, they DSB and LR will harbor enought Bacteria so you dont need the bio balls, and the reason to remove them is they become breading ground for nitrates, i was told this and tried it.. and guess what, it worked

Thanks reefman ;)
Do you have any adivce on the other ?'s
The LR should be cured it's in my other tank (58g thats been running for a while)I plan on taking everything from the 58g and putting it in the 105g
My biggest question is what kind of effect will UV&ozone have on DSB,LR and some corals :confused:
Also I have about a 5g bucket full of bio-balls that are in my other set up if I use some of them when start the 105g will they help to "seed" the DSB and help w/ the "cycle" (I would then take them out after a lil' while) :rolleyes: :confused:

davidcanupp

Hey what kind of lighting system are you going to use? Just curious because i have often thought about converting my 55 FO to FOWLR. Thanks- David

davidcanupp

Hey what kind of lighting system are you going to use? Just curious because i have often thought about converting my 55 FO to FOWLR. Thanks- David

I have two IceCap 660 VHO ballast's that wired now so that two 48" full atinic bulbs run off one and two 48" daylight bulbs on the other one. I do plan to add two more bulbs on the daylight part. Then in the future I will add MH I think :cool: