Thinking of setting up a small frag tank

nano-newb1983

Ok so i have been wanting to set up a 20Gallon Long Frag Tank to hold my zoas frags when i cut them. So what im asking is what would be Needed to set this up?
I need help with what light, filter and Flow for it
DO i need any Live rock or sand in there?
thanks
mark

spanko

It's about time Zoaman. You have so many different types I was wondering if they were taking over the city at this point!!!!
You know what it takes to keep them in your display as far as lighting, a duplicate of that should do you well. If it is just zoas then you don't need anything too powerful me thinks, a nice T5 unit like the Current USA Nova Extreme T5 X2 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X24 Watt, 30 inch at around $65 should serve well for this. Of course if you are going to get into some higher light requiring stuff down the road somehting else may be needed.
As for filtration I would look into the large Aquaclear hob.
Maybe a nice few pcs. of rock but no sand. A few algae eating critter and that should do it. Not really gonna be any bioload so algae is gonna be your biggest potential problem I would think.
Just my opinion let's see what others think.

nano-newb1983

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3118055
It's about time Zoaman. You have so many different types I was wondering if they were taking over the city at this point!!!!
You know what it takes to keep them in your display as far as lighting, a duplicate of that should do you well. If it is just zoas then you don't need anything too powerful me thinks, a nice T5 unit like the Current USA Nova Extreme T5 X2 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X24 Watt, 30 inch at around $65 should serve well for this. Of course if you are going to get into some higher light requiring stuff down the road somehting else may be needed.
Maybe a nice few pcs. of rock but no sand. A few algae eating critter and that should do it. Not really gonna be any bioload so algae is gonna be your biggest potential problem I would think.
Awesome, thanks Henry. What do you think i should do about Flow? will 2 K'1s be good?
Originally Posted by Sir Mixxalot

http:///forum/post/3118066
can u plumb it in with your display tank?
I rather not plumb togeather since frag tank will be in basement and Display tank in living room. I have pondered doing that, but my ol lady wont like me fraggin in living room lol

spanko

I really think you won't need much flow as it will only be zoas in a 20 gallon. An Aquaclear on one end and a K1 or K2 on the other should be enough IMO. If it is just a grow out tank for the zoas, nothing getting fed, no detritus to speak of, you are only gonna need to keep the surface agitated for gas exchange, which the aquaclear would do, and flow across the tank from the opposite end with the Korallia should suffice.

nano-newb1983

Cool, So do you think i will need to mod the Aquaclear in anyway? Like doing Chemi-pure Elite and Purigen? Also do you think a small filter Modded into a fuge would be worth doing?

spanko

Again not having anything in there that is going to produce any bioload to speak of I can't see a need for a fuge. And using the cheim pure and pruigen is only a plus I guess.

nano-newb1983

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3118055
Henry,
You think the Aquaclear 200 would be good?
I found a tank and K1 for $40 so im going to have this up by the weekend

spanko

I don't see why not as long as you use it as a filter with some floss and chemical filtration, not as a fuge.