Thinking zots

bender77

OK, right now just thinking. Just want to throw this out and get some feedback while I'm thinking. On craigslist there is a nano-cube 12 gallon for $50, only used for fresh water. I know it's a bit big, but I would add like 6 or 8 horses.
I would get new dead sand and base rock, but I would like to do macros and a CUC but I would worry about hydroids (I've read snails could have them in their GI track). Could I get this set up, even maybe add a small piece of LR for coralline and once everything is how I like it use some hydrox? That should kill hydroids and bristleworms if they happen to find there way there. But not hurt snails, pods, or shrimp.
I guess I could do all dead a fake, but there is still a risk with the CUC.
IDK, I'm just thinking out loud. If I did this it wouldn't be until after Christmas anyway. Not sold on the idea, just mulling it over

S

shrimpy brains

Just got mine a little over a week ago, so not the voice of experience here.
A 12g would be huge for these little guys. I have 3 in a 3g (they are not grown yet) but I am constantly searching for them. They are so tiny and blend in very well. The nice thing is you an raise the babies in with the adults, so they may eventually fill the 12g!
I did mine with live rock and now am constantly on the hunt for bristle worms. Tweeze them out, whenever I see one. I've been waiting for the hydroids, and then I was going to use the panacur(maybe). or set up a 5g that I have. (now I will look into hydrox) Thanks for the tip!
I still agree on the live macros, as I don't like the look or maintenence involved with fake plants.
I also recommend, only snails for cuc. Pods will do you no good as they only eat newly hatched brine shrimp!
Good luck if you go for it! They are amazing!!

reefnutpa

FYI... I had 50+ dwarfs in a 10 gal. With only 6 or 8 in a 12 gal you may run into feeding difficulties. Meaning, you'd have to load the tank with so much bbs to ensure they would be able to eat enough at each feeding that you'd end up with water quality issues from the non-eaten, dead/dying bbs over time.
Not all snails, macro's etc will survive a pancur/hydrox treatment. And it renders the tank uninhabitable for those that can't survive it almost indefinitely.
As long as you know the risks in setting up a dwarf tank and adding "live" items to the tank, the choice is yours.
Tom

bender77

Originally Posted by ReefNutPA
http:///forum/post/3154638
FYI... I had 50+ dwarfs in a 10 gal. With only 6 or 8 in a 12 gal you may run into feeding difficulties. Meaning, you'd have to load the tank with so much bbs to ensure they would be able to eat enough at each feeding that you'd end up with water quality issues from the non-eaten, dead/dying bbs over time.
Not all snails, macro's etc will survive a pancur/hydrox treatment. And it renders the tank uninhabitable for those that can't survive it almost indefinitely.
As long as you know the risks in setting up a dwarf tank and adding "live" items to the tank, the choice is yours.
Tom
Good points. I've heard of people keeping 8 pairs in a 10g so I didn't think a 12 would be too much of a stretch. Still not sold on the idea just throwing it around. Keep with the thoughts, advice and personal feedback. It's all appreciated.

dive girl

I have 45 dwarfs in a 12g aquapod that I've done some modifications to. I started with 15 in a 10g. I know you are in the just thinking about it stage but you won't be able to keep them in there without making some modifications to the tank. You will also need to add a chiller because of the lighting and the lid.
I love my dwarf seahorses and really like them in the aquapod but with it came some compromises.
BTW, Shrimpy Brains, my dwarf seahorses LOVE copepods!

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/3154821
I have 45 dwarfs in a 12g aquapod that I've done some modifications to. I started with 15 in a 10g. I know you are in the just thinking about it stage but you won't be able to keep them in there without making some modifications to the tank. You will also need to add a chiller because of the lighting and the lid.
I love my dwarf seahorses and really like them in the aquapod but with it came some compromises.
BTW, Shrimpy Brains, my dwarf seahorses LOVE copepods!
Thanks, I was wondering about copepods, as they should be small enough!! Good to know!! All I hear anyone say is newly hatched brine!! So, my babies are getting treats in between feedings!!
Yeah!!

Sorry, Bender about the mis-information on this!!

S

shrimpy brains

Hey Dive girl,
Is there a thread on your aquapod, or could you maybe throw us some pics and info about the mods you have done on your tank. Just to give us some ideas!!

bender77

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3154871
Hey Dive girl,
Is there a thread on your aquapod, or could you maybe throw us some pics and info about the mods you have done on your tank. Just to give us some ideas!!
+1

dive girl

Okay, I've started a thread here with photos: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/367287/modifications-to-aquapod-for-dwarf-seahorses
Since I still feel like I am learning, if anyone has any input on what might make my tank better I'd be interested in your thoughts.