This green hair algae is out of control!!!!!

njjamie

Let me start by saying I am ready to throw my tank in the garbage....with that being said, now you know my frustration!
I have had a problem with this green hair algae for about 5 months now and I have tried a bunch of different things. I have replaced my PC bulbs about 3 months ago after realizing I had cyano. I treated it and I feel like it immediately turned into hair algae.
This is SWF.com not Dr Phil, so let me say my electricity was turned off over a 36 hour period, and I lost almost everything. A bunch of fish died and I was far from happy.....this happened about 30 days ago. Before this, I had the green algae, but all my fish and hermits and snails were doing fine. I put in 2 tangs to take care of problem, and they died. I put a foxface in, and he died. I am really worried that a bunch of my turbo snails have been dying as well. I put about 6 of them two months ago and I took out about 4 of them today, along with some other types I dont know what they are....sorry but this is the newbee area, right?
I have been religiously scrubbing the rock and netting out as much as possible. I bought a sea hair and it barely put a dent in it. Yesterday, it has disappeared. Today I bought another one.
All I have is a 55 gallon, 50lbs of live rock, anemone, clown fish, hermits, snails, and a bunch of hair algae. I do 10% water changes every week. I top off with RO. I cut back my lights down to 7 hours.
I have read a bunch of posts on here and I think I am doing the majority right. Some say that because of the electricity getting shut off for a bit, everything soaked into sandbed and I should change it out. Another guy said I should get rid of all my sand.....I dont want to get into that discussion again. (The German way, or whatever??)
So......PLEASE HELP. Or send your address and I will start sending parts to you guys/girls as I am ready to toss this tank. Thank you in advance for ANY suggestions. Am I wasting my time buying sea hairs, scrubbing rock, water changes????

peterpaul

Few things you need to do before you start adding any more fish in your tank. The first is water circulation. Do you have enough pumps to criculate the water (try to aim a minimum of 20x the tank size but this can be disputed) Check your water parameters. My guess is you have high nitrates and phosphates. I would do a large water change (say 50%). Also Turbo snails are good at removing hair algae. But most of all be patient as this is a great hobby. Hope this helps

sepulatian

I understand your frustration. We have all gotten frustrated with our tanks. It will be alright. Please post your water readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, SG, temp, and phosphate. What is your source water? What do you have for flow? As mentioned, good flow is important.

t316

Don't add anymore fish/snails/crabs, etc. to the tank. The bigger problem is why everything is dying. Do you have test kits? If so, what are the readings on everything, and don't just go by what your fish store tells you. It's probably a combination of things, but might be simple to solve. The tangs would have taken care of the hair algae, but if the tank can't sustain life, then obviously it's going to continue to grow. Let's see those test results

payton 350

test numbers are good to know. Have you tried to stop all water changes and just let the hair algae grow and absorb all the nutrients it can and then remove the hair algae.
Have you tested your source water?

robdog696

I had a similar problem when I started out. I ended up following the advice of my LFS owner. I left my surviving fish with him. I drained my tank. I set my liverock and sand in the sun for three days. I set the tank back up, bought a few pounds of liverock to seed the old rock (now effectively base rock), and waited for the tank to cycle. Sometimes hitting the reset button works for more than just the playstation. The tank has been running pest free for almost two years now. Even after setting up my 150, it continues to run behind me with nothing but a clownfish and a blueberry gorgonian in it. I know this is a very extreme measure, but if you're about to quit, it's a better alternative. Lawnmower blennies eat hair algae. Not sure how bad you've got it. Something else you might try. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

kellenr

Originally Posted by njjamie
http:///forum/post/2681189
...Another guy said I should get rid of all my sand.....I dont want to get into that discussion again. (The German way, or whatever??)
LOL, that's called the "I used to have a saltwater tank but then I killed everything by taking out my sand" way. lol
You and I both know that's ridiculous. There's an underlying problem of why you're getting hair algae, removing the media its attaching to is pointless.
I'm sure you're doing a great cleanup job on your tank but thats only trying to put a quick band-aid on the problem. We gotta figure out the source. High Phosphates and Nitrates are usually the cause, they're the food source for green hair algae.
Originally Posted by sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2681222
...Please post your water readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, SG, temp, and phosphate. What is your source water? What do you have for flow? As mentioned, good flow is important.
+1 on that. We need to see what's off here, something is causing this to grow.
Also what are you feeding and how much/ how often? You say your lights are on 7hours a day right.
Don't add anything else to your tank. Something is causing everything to die, you need to figure this out first. Most CUC don't eat hair algae anyway.
Update ALL of your params and we'll go from there.

1journeyman

As has been said, don't put anything else living into the tank.
*Post parameters.
*Post details about tank; pumps, circulation, skimmer, etc.
*Post how/when fish are dying. A high algae bloom combined with low circulation may be sucking all of the O2 out of your tank at night.
Something is feeding the algae in your tank. We need to track that down. The fish dying may well be a symptom of something else. Above all, remember that tanks in this hobby require patience. Don't throw good money after bad, and don't throw more livestock into a troubled tank.
Always identify the cause of the issues first then react.

aztec reef

Si, parameters will tell us how out of whack your water is..
The algea problem is not a good enuff reason to end the tanks life.. This is a problem that every tank goes through..The objebtive is to find the culprid and keep the nuissance under control..or it will defenatly take over the whole tank..making newbies wanna to quit..
I would start by doing a large water change with ro followed by the weekly rituals, feed less, stay away from chemicals/addiives/ supplements and low quality foods that amplify the algea...
keep doing the ro waterchanges and harvesting algea and it will eventually pass..
Great husbandry skills & time = stability and balance.
A good reefer gets rid of A problem, but a great reefer avoids it...

njjamie

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2681422
As has been said, don't put anything else living into the tank.
*Post parameters.
*Post details about tank; pumps, circulation, skimmer, etc.
*Post how/when fish are dying. A high algae bloom combined with low circulation may be sucking all of the O2 out of your tank at night.
Something is feeding the algae in your tank. We need to track that down. The fish dying may well be a symptom of something else. Above all, remember that tanks in this hobby require patience. Don't throw good money after bad, and don't throw more livestock into a troubled tank.
Always identify the cause of the issues first then react.
Wow, thank you everyone as I did not expect this type of response in the least. I will now say the thing that everyone is going to flip about.......I dont have any test kits.
I watch my buddy at the LFS do them in front of me and he gets the kits right out of the shelf he sells them from. When I say buddy, we play poker together and we do hang out.....he isnt trying to make a quick buck and he talks the talk as he has many tanks himself......that dont have algae. I am sure you are all going to tell me to get a test kit regardless, even though I dont want to and my wife flips as we have a baby on the way.........I am sure I am not the only one with this battle.
Tanks, pumps, circ, and skimmer. 55 gallon tank, I recentle took out my eheim b/c it was making wierd noises and I am relying on my HOB protien skimmer. I empty the water tray about once a week when it gets full of the nasty waste. I have 1-Rio 180, 2-Rio 600's, and one new Koralia #2. I have recently put one of the phosphate bags over one of my Rio 600's. Because my guy at the LFS said it was slightly low.
I just found my dead seahair today who was a quarter of the size, so I am sure my new seahair will be dead in the next few days. It makes me wonder though how my anenome and clown have been fine durring this entrie fiasco???
I welcome your response, but please nothing too bad about me depending on my LFS for testing.
Thank you very much all!!!

robdog696

I'm glad you have a more positive outlook now!!! We all completely understand the baby on the way. Many valued members of this community have had to break down their tanks and sell everything to make room and/or time for that wonderful gift. Congrats! There are plenty of ways to operate a low cost saltwater tank, and it looks like you've already found some of them. Having your LFS test your water for you is one of them! Take in a water sample and write down the results so you can share them with us! Also, if you can post any pictures that could help. Again, good luck. You're in good hands. Some of the most knowledgeable members on this forum have taken interest in your post!

rkesling

I had the same problem and could not find the cause. I ended up getting a old aquaclear filter taking out the sponge insert and filling it with Chaeto and adding a HomeDepot clip on light to it. Made it into a Fuge. Ever since then @ 3-4 months now. I have had no algae problems at all and everything is full of life and happy as can be.

njjamie

Originally Posted by Robdog696
http:///forum/post/2682265
I'm glad you have a more positive outlook now!!! We all completely understand the baby on the way. Many valued members of this community have had to break down their tanks and sell everything to make room and/or time for that wonderful gift. Congrats! There are plenty of ways to operate a low cost saltwater tank, and it looks like you've already found some of them. Having your LFS test your water for you is one of them! Take in a water sample and write down the results so you can share them with us! Also, if you can post any pictures that could help. Again, good luck. You're in good hands. Some of the most knowledgeable members on this forum have taken interest in your post!
I thank all of you guys for your responses!!! Thanks for not going too crazy on me for using the LFS for tests. I am going there this weekend and will write the numbers of each test. I promise I will not buy anything, hahaha. I will also take some pics of the tank and my algae issue.
I really hope I can get this tank under control before the baby comes and I am happy I am not the only one that has been in this situation. Look forward to finding the problem. Again, thanks everyone for the help!!!!

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2682611
I thank all of you guys for your responses!!! Thanks for not going too crazy on me for using the LFS for tests. I am going there this weekend and will write the numbers of each test. I promise I will not buy anything, hahaha. I will also take some pics of the tank and my algae issue.
I really hope I can get this tank under control before the baby comes and I am happy I am not the only one that has been in this situation. Look forward to finding the problem. Again, thanks everyone for the help!!!!
What is your source water? Have them test your phosphates as well. The numbers will certainly help us out here. Do you have anything that requires light? It will help if you cut back on your lighting, if you can.

t316

Nj....I'm not slamming you about using your lfs for the tests. If that is what is at your disposal right now, then definately utilize him. But in general, don't trust what they say, unless you do the test yourself.

kellenr

http:///forum/post/2682045
....I have recently put one of the phosphate bags over one of my Rio 600's. Because my guy at the LFS said it was slightly low.
I just found my dead seahair today who was a quarter of the size, so I am sure my new seahair will be dead in the next few days. It makes me wonder though how my anenome and clown have been fine durring this entrie fiasco???
Well you obviously know that you need the LFS to test your water and write down exact numbers. Have them test everything they got, not just Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate & pH.
Phosphate bags are used to 'remove' phosphates, not add them. Phosphates are the fuel source for many types of algae growth, not to mention other negative affects in your tank. High nitrates (>10ppm) are also usually found when a tank has green hair algae.
Sea hares are kind of hard to take care of sometimes. When you get them they may not always be healthy in general. They don't handle poor water quality very well and/or unstable levels. They should be placed in only established tanks. Plus they usually die from starvation; I think there's plenty of 'hare food in your tank though.

LOL. Since this LFS guy is your poker buddy ask him if you can babysit about 60 turbo snails for a few days. That'll do the trick!

njjamie

Originally Posted by KellenR
http:///forum/post/2684220
Well you obviously know that you need the LFS to test your water and write down exact numbers. Have them test everything they got, not just Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate & pH.
Phosphate bags are used to 'remove' phosphates, not add them. Phosphates are the fuel source for many types of algae growth, not to mention other negative affects in your tank. High nitrates (>10ppm) are also usually found when a tank has green hair algae.
Sea hares are kind of hard to take care of sometimes. When you get them they may not always be healthy in general. They don't handle poor water quality very well and/or unstable levels. They should be placed in only established tanks. Plus they usually die from starvation; I think there's plenty of 'hare food in your tank though.

LOL. Since this LFS guy is your poker buddy ask him if you can babysit about 60 turbo snails for a few days. That'll do the trick!

Hahahaha, I like the idea about the turbo snail. Unfortunately I have been killing turbo snails in my tank.
I just got back form the LFS and tested for the regulars. Sorry I did not see the above post before I took off.
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 20ppm
Ammonia - 0
Salinity - 1.021
PH - 7.8
So I hear the PH is supposed to be 8.2 or 8.3?? This is what my buddy said at the LFS. Do you think this is the sole reason for all my flippin problems though??? He said it has a lot to do with why my snails are dying and potentially why the last sea hair croaked. As soon as I got back I put in 2 teaspoons of Superbuffer dKH. It was recommended that I do this for the next week, every day.
Should I be checking for other things, and getting other test done? Do you think that if I fix this PH thing, the algae will go away? My current sea hair is running a little slow but still eating some of the hair algae. I was under the impression he was supposed to be mowing this stuff down like crazy.....perhaps my water conditions are playing a part in why that is not the case.
Please let me know if I forgot anything. Oh, should I take this phosphate bag out of my tank?? Pics will be coming in the next post.....hopefully!
I anxiously await your responses!!!!
Jamie

robdog696

http:///forum/post/2684722
perhaps my water conditions are playing a part in why that is not the case.
Yes, as is almost always the case. This is why testing is so important. Your salinity is also low. I would never let my salinity drop below 1.023 and I try to keep it around 1.025. Inverts (like snails and sea hares) are more intolerant of irregularities in salinity than fish. Raise your salinity slowly. Personally, I would just top off with saltwater instead of RO water until your salinity is up to 1.025ish. That should help with the snail and sea hare abductions.
Sorry, I can't help ya with the hair algae though. That's one problem I've not yet faced. Good luck!

sepulatian

As mentioned, your salinity is low. That is why your sea hare and snails have not done well. Raise it as Robdog recommended. Stop adding the buffer. Never add anything like that unless you are testing your readings daily. It can raise too high too fast. Even the fish cannot tolerate that. As the SG increases the PH will stabilize. The salt mix contains a buffer. When there is more salt mix in the water there will also be more buffer. Have your LFS test for phosphates and also alkalinity. Post those readings.