This Guy Is Getting Tooooo Big!

He would have a hard time eating too, if you just put him in the ocean.
I dont know much about lobsters, and obviously the other poster was joking, but why cant you cut the antennas shorter?
Just wondering, jeeze, dont get all worked up! :scared:

renogaw

the antenaes would probably just grow back with the next molt.
classic example of why you dont buy something and say you'll get a bigger tank later.

cdangel0

I have a 92g bow front that looks like it would be able to house him OK, but you'd have to include some of that Xenia in order for me to take him :thinking:

watson3

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
I bought him so small and cute like the size of a crawfish
You must not have seen a Louisiana Crawfish

sinaloa213

Originally Posted by Bruder
You are introducing diseases/parasites/predators into areas of the ocean that are not their natural habitat (locality wise). Also, I wouldn't think they would survive. I know that most fish were at one point wild (besides AquaCultured, I am talking about) they have grown accustom to being fed fish food, different water conditions (to a degree), and a different lifestyle.
If you grew up in the 'burbs of Chicago and someone scooped you up and dumped you in Botswana, you might not have an easy time. JMO.
thanks for the response really changes my mind...
DONT DUMP IN OCEAN

scrapman

Originally Posted by Bruder
You are introducing diseases/parasites/predators into areas of the ocean that are not their natural habitat (locality wise). Also, I wouldn't think they would survive. I know that most fish were at one point wild (besides AquaCultured, I am talking about) they have grown accustom to being fed fish food, different water conditions (to a degree), and a different lifestyle.
If you grew up in the 'burbs of Chicago and someone scooped you up and dumped you in Botswana, you might not have an easy time. JMO.
well done Bruder.

wax32

Originally Posted by watson3

I'm berlin' some right now! Toss me that dude and I'll throw him in too.

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by watson3

Yes no dought they get big!!! But not as tasty as the smaller ones!!!
Born and rasied in NO myself.

gatorwpb

Defintely check LFS in your area Heatlvr.
One of my lfs has a florida spiny lobster in its live rock tank, it must be 3 feet long. Ive never seen one so big in the wild.
They also have a species only tank for one purple lobster.
Its beautiful nonetheless. :jumping:

cgj

I just got a purple lobster yesterday, very handsome one he is...
I released him into the tank and he used his tail to swim around a bit... but since then, he just hides alot, staying stationary for hours at a time and is often very hard to find and look at.
Is his shyness just initially? I'm hoping he'll actually start coming out during the day every now and then. Id hate to have paid 30 bucks for something so beautiful that just sits under rocks all day.

teen

Originally Posted by CGJ
I just got a purple lobster yesterday, very handsome one he is...
I released him into the tank and he used his tail to swim around a bit... but since then, he just hides alot, staying stationary for hours at a time and is often very hard to find and look at.
Is his shyness just initially? I'm hoping he'll actually start coming out during the day every now and then. Id hate to have paid 30 bucks for something so beautiful that just sits under rocks all day.
they do just sit behind rocks all day. mine comes out at night or if i feed him during the day.

cgj

any way to break them of that habit? Perhaps savagely beating them with a piece of decor when they try to hide.

cgj

When I had a freshwater setup i had the same problem... i liked the fiddler crabs but if i only had 2 or three, there would almost never be one in direct sight. So I went out and bought more, and had 6 in the end. Problem was, after about a month, they got comfortable and routinely 4-5 or even all 6 were foraging for food at the same time. Im hoping that'll happen in this case... I d love to buy a second lobster, but they say theyll fight savagely until one is slain.