This is my help thread lol

j-ro

Im starting my own help thread now cause where im knew i have sooooo many ?'s rite now So Welcome to The J-RO Help Thread.

j-ro

A ? reagarding snails, Do i need MH Lighting for these guys? Or is MH only used for live coral? Do i need it for live rock to survive? What are some things that i need to have MH lighting for, i intend on having a reef tank someday.

lion_crazz

Metal halide lighting is used for corals that need extremely high light, such as acropora, SPS corals, and clams. Inverts (snails, hermits, crabs) and live rock does not need metal halide lighting for anything.

j-ro

good so the live coral for me can wait lol. Thats one thing i was very unsure about. I was wondering about my clean up crew if they needed the strong mh lighting and its good that they dont. thx

j-ro

For a 66.5g tank what sixe of clean up crew would i be lookin at here? How many could i go with?

j-ro

This is a sand bed ? Do u put regualar sand on the bottom and the live sand on the top? Or live sand top to bottom? And is thicker better?

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by J-RO
For a 66.5g tank what sixe of clean up crew would i be lookin at here? How many could i go with?
Hermit crabs about 1 per 2-3 gallons
snails about 1 per 5 gallon depending on type, the smaller ones will require more.
shrimp. depends on type but typically how many ever you want

fishgeek01

This is a sand bed ? Do u put regualar sand on the bottom and the live sand on the top? Or live sand top to bottom? And is thicker better?
depends on live stock you wish to keep, certain gobies need a deeper sand bed, but with a deper sand bed you need to make sure you don't stir up the bottom layers
typically people go with a 2-3 inch or a 5-8 inch
add regular dry sand, mix in live sand in the top 1/2 inch
Make sure you use sand safe for saltwater aquariums, all sand is not created equal.

j-ro

What would be a good fish list, now i want to be careful no to overstock, and i dont want any that are agressive either.

bill109

Clown Fish do they need the anenome to survive?
no they do not need one. anenomes require good lighting.
IMO i thihk tht if you buy one clown just buy 2 they are cool so see in pairs.
look into all the types b4 u buy because you can't mix species in the same tank unless the system is huge
also another heads up is only 2 clowns per tank.

cyclops

Originally Posted by bill109
no they do not need one. anenomes require good lighting.
IMO i thihk tht if you buy one clown just buy 2 they are cool so see in pairs.
look into all the types b4 u buy because you can't mix species in the same tank unless the system is huge
also another heads up is only 2 clowns per tank.
2 clowns per tank??? thats not true it depends on what typ of clowns you buy for instance you can have many percula clowns that will live together in harmony. I have 4 in my tank and they all get along there is one femal and one male the other two are real small and act as a helper but if the femal or make should die every clow will move up.
Just do your research and you will find out which clowns need to be paired or single.

j-ro

I will be purchasing a 66.5g tank at the end of the month and its coming with a Aqua Clear 500. And what i need to know do i take into account of how much this filter circulates my tank when i think about buying powerheads? or dose it matter?

j-ro

Taking into consideration that i dont want to overstock my tank what would be a good number of fish to have in a 66.5g tank. Fish that are 3-4in around there not to big.

bluemantr

Dont count AC50 when you are calculating water flow. Dont use any media in ac50 either, You can either use it for running carbon couple days a month or you can convert it to HOB fuge.
Fish amount for your tank its up to fish sizes if you go all small size fish i think you can go up to 6-7 (not all at once of course :) )
I read some snails populate themself but it didnt happen in my 65g.

j-ro

How would i go about turning the ac500 into a fuge? What do i need to add to make that happen?

j-ro

At first my tank will be FO, but in time it will be a reef,im planning on adding a liitle bit of live rock at a time after the tank is fully cycled. When the tank is only FO would there still be no need for media in the filter or should i have some?