This is the end

toddius

The end is here my corals have finally finished dieing. Despite all of my efforts. The only thing to decide now is to keep the tank as a invert tank or move all the rock and inverts to my agressive tank and use this tank for my freshwater fry. I know I can not sacrifice any more corals for my pleasure when the oceans are being so damaged the way it is. If you can not help the problem then why contribute to it. Thanks for everyones help. Please save the reefs and ocean life you have.

P

peterphunk

It seems as though your jumping out too early. The best response that anyone could give is that this hobby is unfortunately a trial and error hobby. It takes time to get everything right as well as alot of effort on our part to make sure that everything is right.
Just because your corals are dead doesn't mean you sould give up but rather learn from the experience and deal with one coral at a time.
The reefs might be dying but it is up us to keep the reefs alive within are tanks.
How cool would it be to have governments come to hobbyists to rebuild the reefs of the world because we cared more for them.

m1rodrig

What kind of corals were you keeping?Maybe you were keeping the wrong kind of corals for your setup.Some are just a pain to keep and are better off left alone.Also what is your setup?

toddius

I posted a few days ago under (IDEAS) because I have been watching everything die for over two weeks now. I can not find the problem. Without going into detail again all I can say is that nothing has changed in my tank and all readings are fine they have even been double checked. My coral beauty is fine as are all of my invertabrates it's just the corals ( evrything from button polyps, mushrooms, colts, ricordia, leather, star polyps, xenias and bubble corals) are all dieing. I do 10% water change every week. It's the same routine I have been using on my reef and agressive tank for over a year and a half now. I have been keep fish for almost 24 years now and have never seen anything like it. I guess I am just not familiar enough with how finiky corals are to undetectable changes. Better stick with breeding fish.

broomer5

I read your other post titled Ideas
You mentioned your lighting as "My lighting is 175 MH, 2 VHO actnic, 2 VHO regular, 2 actnic NO. This is on my 55 so it comes out to 10 watts per gallon"
You seem to have had some low to medium light loving corals in this 55 tank, as you said "button polyps, mushrooms, colts, ricordia, leather, star polyps, xenias and bubble corals"
Maybe you just had too much light for these corals. The anemone seems to like this lighting, which makes sense to me.
It may be an "overlighting" issue.
How long did you leave each type of light on each day ?
Did you "add" more lighting to the 55 while you had the corals - or was this the original light set up from the beginning.

toddius

Do you think I should drop the 175 mh and just run the 4 vho and 2 no. I guess it can not hurt at this point. The vho bulbs were changed in march but will change again to see if it helps. Whta are the odds of anything recovering and if it is to late what corals like excessive lighting? Or should I just go with anemones even though that is pretty ecologiglly wrong.

fishfood

You could always keep the mh off for the time being and see if eveything does come back... If it does try taking some of the stuff back and trading it in. Get some frags of corals that need more lighting and see how they do. I just got about 6 or so frags in the last 2 months and they are doing great... Plus they are a lot cheaper. Plus bump up the calcium and try a few acro frags. Mine have been doing great since i got them. I haven't bought a full piece of coral in over a year. All frags and i trade in frags of my leather for them. I currenly traded in for a plate coral that doesn't like my lighting yet. I had to cut the mh back to 4 hours a day from 7 and he still doesn't like it. Sorry that was a little long but maybe it will give you some ideas.

discusking

hey i know how u feel. Don't give up even if your having a problem. Sometimes it is hard to get your tank right, I just crash mine and have to start form basically scratch. I am going to try again, y dont u too. Good luck :)

jonthefb

I would agree with Baron, and i posted in your last thread that you should definatley check into replaing your bulbs, possibly even the etal halide. I think that this is something that often gets overlooked in saltwater aquaria. I try to change my bulbs abut every 6 months so that the corals have a very steady, natural amount of light that is consistent. It can be expensive if you buy your bulbs from your lfs, but check on the internet and you can usually find really great deals!.
good luck and stick with it cause once you get it right it is a beautiful thing to watch a tank grow and thrive
jon