This years buck.

tx reef

Originally Posted by crimzy
For the life of me I can't understand the appeal of hunting. Do you consider this a sport? Or do you just enjoy drinking beer and shooting things?

I don't drink when I hunt.....
There is nothing better than going out to the lease after a bad day at work and using my predator call to bring in some coyotes and shoot them in the head with my .17 HMR.
I kill deer for meat and horns......plus if people did not hunt, how do you expect to keep the deer population under control?

crimzy

Originally Posted by TX Reef
I kill deer for meat and horns......plus if people did not hunt, how do you expect to keep the deer population under control?
Sure the deer population needs to be kept under control... I just don't understand why people get so excited and proud to shoot these animals. Listen, I'm no tree-hugger, I love a good steak. I just couldn't imagine getting any enjoyment whatsoever over slaughtering the cow to eat that filet. What would make someone so proud of killing a large, peaceful animal that they'd take a picture with the carcas? Are these the same people who tell people on this site not to cycle with damsels because it's cruel? To me it just looks like a bunch of guys playing with guns (most of whom are pounding beers while shooting things). Would you be proud of your son if he bashed in the head of a nuisance, stray cat for fun?

zman1

That one is likely to be killed by a Mom in a minivan with her three kids in a hit and rollover...

crimzy

Originally Posted by lovethesea
I like mine better

Oooh, oooh.... blow its freaking head off. That sounds like fun.

lovethesea

here is his girl.......
They wandered into our yard one foggy morning from the common ground in ours subdivision.

wattsupdoc

Well your beginning to sound like a tree hugger now.
There is a tremendouse more in hunting than what you realize,Or probably even want to consider. As you are evidently not open minded enough to at least think beyound what your eyes are seeing. I personally rarely drink. When I do its just a couple. NEVER when hunting. Even if a person just goes out into an allreadt established stand, waits for a deer and shoots any that she/he sees. It goes way beyond just seeing one shooting it, and cooking it. We are all hunters at heart, even you I'm sure enjoy hunting things down. Be it shoes or bobcats, we all hunt. It is human to do so. Connects us to our roots. You do it without realizing it, I do with realizing it. I spent 2 months looking for this guy. I knew he was there, saw the signs, paterned him, saw him, and even missed a shot at him once. It's not an easy thing. It IS a sport. Dont confuse athletics with sport. Read the definition of it. I kill coyote around here for sport. If I dont, they get outta control. Can be a bid nuisance. And no I wouldnt if he bashed its head, but if he shot it and it was a nuisance, I'd be glad.
I wouldnt have too then. How is cycling with damsels a natural thing?

reefraff

Sure the deer population needs to be kept under control... I just don't understand why people get so excited and proud to shoot these animals. Listen, I'm no tree-hugger, I love a good steak. I just couldn't imagine getting any enjoyment whatsoever over slaughtering the cow to eat that filet. What would make someone so proud of killing a large, peaceful animal that they'd take a picture with the carcas? Are these the same people who tell people on this site not to cycle with damsels because it's cruel? To me it just looks like a bunch of guys playing with guns (most of whom are pounding beers while shooting things). Would you be proud of your son if he bashed in the head of a nuisance, stray cat for fun?
Being in Michigan there are a lot of hunters local to you, see if one would allow you to tag along for a day and then tell us you don't think its a sport. Even with an easy kill you have the satisfaction of knowing you put the meat on the table and it isn't full of hormones and preservatives.

tx reef

Originally Posted by lovethesea
I like mine better

I would definately take that deer out. It has very bad genetics and I wouldn't want it breeding with my does.......
Old deer with racks like that are no good.

scubaguy

I am sorry but hunting helps with the population of deer even the park rangers will tell you that. I do not hunt because no one in my family will eat it if I shoot it, so I do not hunt. Now if my family would eat what I shoot then I would in a heart beat. Talking about killing a stray cat has nothing to do with using the meat for good use, FOOD FOR YOUR FAMILY. No my kids would catch the stray cat and then I would take it to the pound and then if it was not adopted in three days it would be put to sleep. HMMM.
As long as the meat is used and not just the antlers are cut off and the meat left to rot, I see no problem with hunting.
@ WATSUPDOC nice deer. If you want a real deer go to Colorado, MULE deer are big and so are the Elk.

darknes

Nice bucks guys.
crimzy, I don't understand your problem with hunting. I don't hunt myself, but I do have a lot of respect for those that do. Do you also have a problem with fishing? I rarely keep the fish I catch, it's the hunt that makes it so enjoyable. As long as you aren't killing and mutilating animals for the enjoyment of taking life, I don't see a problem.

wattsupdoc

Hi scubaguy
Heck 2 years ago, I gave 4 deer away, to people who needed it. It's real satisfying to do so. You could tag along with me some day, they'll have another urban hunt in Dec. DONATE the meat, you'll put food on someone else table that way. Heck, I'll even loan you my 30-30. You'll love it.
There's a lot of comradery that goes along with it also. My sons 11 he hunts with me sometimes, we have a good time together. Making some memories. Plus he makes a better pic than me.
You do need to sort through the bad genes, you'll have prettier deer the years coming if you do.
He did dress at around 20o. My uncle has a Texas Boon and Crockett buck. Beautiful mount. Was not great sized, but they put on some racks down there. Acorns are the primary food source around here, with mucho deer around, they don't rack up very good. Northern Mo. grow some monsters up there. One of my builders just bagged a good east Kansas buck. Stated it dress out at 280ish. I believe him, he's bagged some beasts before.
Here's my prize!

wattsupdoc

Here's my buck. I shot him last week.
I prefer to use a bigger gun......I shot him with my .300 Weatherby Magnum.
I generally shoot my Browning Medallion 25-06 Boss, but I just felt like pulling out the big dog this year.........
Yeah the .300 weatherby mag will drop a water buffalo!

wattsupdoc

Naw, I bought it at Bass Pro in Springfield 2 days before I bagged him. Just worked out that it fit right in the tines perfectly. The handle is whitetail anlter, the blade is made from sawmill blades.

scubaguy

I have alot of guns now Watsupdoc, but with my work and not having the regular weekends off. I sold my 30-06 Savage and my 22 rifle when I found out my wife would not eat what I shot when I brought home some squirrels. My father-in-law passed away and gave me all his guns so no I have some and more. I even have a overunder for squirrel hunting but I know about the donating for the homeless and how it feeds a lot. I might get with you next year because I have a nephew and a new brother-in-law who do eat deer.

skipperdz

do you need a hug?

lovethesea

I would definately take that deer out. It has very bad genetics and I wouldn't want it breeding with my does.......
Old deer with racks like that are no good.

all the more reason to keep them in our common ground.