Those of you with split returns...

josh

I have a question for you. How high above the sump do you have your T. Do you think it would be better to T it off right above the sump or right near the top of the tank. If it makes a difference, I am using flexiable hose down to the returns ( well into the nose barb first then into the split elbows ).
Oh, one other thing. Has anyone ever seen a 3/4" wye? I can't seem to find one of these to save my soul.
I went out today and got the goodies to re plumb the sump returns for the new pump. After doing it once, it really goes quickly the second time around!

seaham358

My LFS hooked up my system. My return pump has 2 connections right off the pump so both are actually in the sump above the pump, then run up.

josh

I have been thinking about this, the only problem I see with splitting the returns that low, is that you have twice the head pressure to overcome....meaning you are pushing 2 volumes of water up instead of one. I guess if you had a large enough pump, that wouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for the response.

snowbear

I like fish is right - you are still pushing the same volume of water and the head pressure does not change. If anything, you will have less friction loss (in short - caused by turbulance of the water inside the hose) by pumping the same volume through 2 hoses instead of 1.

wamp

It will be the same either way. I prefer mine lower in case a small leak occurs, it will drain back into the sump.