Those thin colored scrub pads

meadbhb

Hiya,
I was wondering if it's safe to use those thin colored scrub pads that you can buy for like a buck that are in a bundle to remove coraline algea? I've got a bunch of the stuff to removed from the front of my glass and my magna float just can't take it off. These aren't treated with any chemicals so I think they're safe, but I want to make sure.
Meadbhb/Kim

ophthos

The 3M kind are great for use in restorations. I used some of them to polish up the engine cases on my old Triumph. The different colors are akin to grits on sandpaper. Some are very soft and some are very rough. I found that my local supermarkets didn't have the ultra fine polishing ones that I needed. The usual ones are green and these are great for scouring but I think they could scratch up the glass.
The color I used was blue, I believe. If you search the 3M website they have some no scratch ones.

meadbhb

Hiya,
I forgot to mention this is in a established tank. I'd love the fact that the coraline is growing so well, but I'd like to SEE inside my tank.

jimmy40741

Yea, you can use them, I do on tougher algea (but not coraline). And the ones I have are probably the same thing you are talking about, I got them from the Dollar place and there are about 6 or 8 in a pack, and they are made like a scotch brite pad. Mine are green, and they don't scratch the glass.
But like someone else suggested, use a razor blade, it's 100 times faster that way.