Thoughts on a college course in Second Life?

aquaknight

For those with no idea;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life
Retaking some courses online, was signed up for one that was going to be taught solely on Second Life (Twentieth Century Humanities). Have to drop it as it's has a first day on campus meet, but it was an interesting concept. Instead of your basic online course, where you just have homework/quizzes/papers to turn in/take on a website and have to read/study completely on your own, I'd imagine there's actual lecturing being given on Second Life.
Has anyone actually taken a course that meet in Second Life? Or have an opinion?

geridoc

My university has been investigating SL as an alternative or adjunct to online course offerings. So far, it looks like the experience will be richer for everyone involved, but there is no gain in efficiency (class size has to be small, or the instructor can become overwhelmed). I'm not sold yet, but I'm still a reluctant adopter of online courses anyway.

D

deadly_legend

persoanlly, id prefer online classes since i dont like going out and dealing with large groups of people lol, but when i get home i will read that article, since its blocked here at school

jaodissa

I think it is the absolute worst idea ever. Thats equal to saying hey lets bring college into something like the sims online. From my experiance with SL it is nothing but a online game avilable for people to participate in things they would never other wise do (online --- BDSM) People can waste there time playing all of the little social games online where does school work fall into this? Other people could waste tons of money purchasing crap for thier in game items. I mean the list can go on and on as to why thats such a horrible idea.