Thoughts on a predator tank.

jbryantjjml

Hey everyone,

I am new here and I have experience with a saltwater tank, but my other half does not know very much and we are thinking of putting a second tank in the house that will be a predator tank. He is looking at a tank that is 300 gallons and wants to have a shark. We are starting our research, but of course we do know that asking questions is a great place to start. We have an awesome pet store in town that has helped some but we are doing our research online to look for sharks that he could potentially have in there. What are some good ones other then a bamboo shark. The tank that we are looking at is 6 feet long by 3 feet.

Any ideas are welcomed and we appreciate it!

deejeff442

i never understood why people want sharks.for one they dont swim around all day like you think.mostly they just lay around.kinda boring.the skin on them is soft prone to cuts and infections.not to try and talk you out of it but ....also i wouldnt even try one with out the tank being 8 foot long.personally if i did a shark i would buy an egg and watch it hatch.you are going to need a big skimmer for that set up also.there are plenty of fish you can add like groupers. a 300 tank really isnt that big for a shark and as it grows it might get aggressive toward anything in the tank.good luck with any way you go.

jbryantjjml

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I agree they can be very aggressive as they get older. This is just his idea to build into his man cave and if it is what he wants lol guess he can have it. We are also putting a 175 gallon in our living room that will be a standard saltwater tank and I am excited for that one. Have not had a tank in almost 6 months and it is killing me lol. But watching it hatch good to have to research that one sounds fun.