Thoughts on Adding Niger Trigger to Reef Tank

don1234

Thinking about adding a Nigger Trigger to Reef tank. I've read that they are NOT Reef Safe and that they ARE Reef Safe with the possibility to eat snails. SWF list them as NOT reef safe, but what is the general Consensus? 75 Gallon 1 yellow eye tang, 1 Clown, 1 damsel, 1 Goby, several corals. 1 CBS, 1 emerald crab, lots of rock work.

aquaknight

I don't mean to take the thread down this path, but a 75gal is really only appropriate for more of a temporary home for a smaller Niger. Niger's are quite active fish, more in common with tangs, in regards to their activity level.
As for their 'Reef-Safe' definition, hermits and other small crabs, small snails, and all ornamental shrimp (such as your CBS) are at risk. The only risk to corals, is it's bioload effecting water quality.

don1234

Thats the reason for my post. To get information. Thank you for your input! I actually have the the Niger Trigger already as it was given to me only just a few days ago do to the rapid deployment of one of my neighbors which happens to be a us soldier. I have the Niger Trigger in a smaller QT tank for now and was deciding what to do with it. It is what I would imagine you would call a juvenile and its only about two and a half to three inches long. I was considering setting up an empty 55Gal for him.

nycbob

not reef safe and will get more aggressive as it grows. i know someone who had it and gave it away a few months ago bc it got very aggressive as it grew bigger. it started killing fish that it grew up with and became quite territorial.