Thoughts on buying a light off of eb*y?

as1720

I dont know much about lighting but would like to be able to keep some corals and maybe some day in the far far future try an anemone.
I know every one says not to buy on eb*y but i kinda have a theory behind why i want to buy something that has no brand name. I am wondering if any has boughten one of these and what happend with it? I have heard of the ballest going out but cant those be replaced?
So over all if this light did have a brand name on it would you buy it? What all could you keep with it?
HQI lamp: 1 x 250W
PC light bulb: 2 x 65W
Dual LED: 4 x Blue-Moon night light
Light Fixture unit dimension: 30" L x 15" W x 3" H
Fixture unit finish & material: non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
5" Internal built-in cooling fan: 1
Internal electronic PC ballasts: 2
External electronic HQI ballasts: 1
Individual power cords: 1 x HQIs, 1 x PCs, 1 x LEDs, 1 x Cooling fan
Independent frt & bk row PC: Yes
Plexi PC splash guard: 2
Heat treated glass HQI splash guard: 1
Individual timer compatible: Yes
Free items included:
250W 15,000k intermediate daylight HQI bulb: 1 pc FREE (Also available for sale: $29.99 ea, plus $8.00 flat rate shipping)
65W Actinic Blue True 03 PC bulb: 2 pcs FREE (Also available for sale: $16.99 ea, plus $8.00 flat rate shipping)
Dual LED Blue Moon: 4 pcs FREE (Also available for sale: $14.99 set, plus $8.00 flat rate shipping)
Mounting leg brackets: 1 set FREE (Also available for sale: $14.99 set, plus $8.00 flat rate shipping)

M

markeo99

I have a 72" and a 48" odyssea from hommby they work but the light is real yellow so I changed bulbs then the ballasts only lasted a few months trying to push the phoenix bulbs so I got icecap ballasts they plug right in
I like the fixture itself and even buying the parts I am still cheaper than a name brand

M

markeo99

I am not fammiliar with them I only purchased from hommby
ask the seller what brand it is if it is and odyssea Its worth a go but be prepared to upgrade parts in your future
ps the reason the bulbs are free is if the end up breaking in shipping they are not liable for free stuff both of mine came with at least one broke bulb

as1720

The whole reason why they are so cheap $169 cheap is because they are not name brand.
I figured a bulb or two wouold break not worried about that.

moprint

These are the same lights that hommby sells. The ballasts don't deliver a true 250 watts, but they are easily replaced with a ballast like an Icecap, or coralvue.

fish addict

I got a light off ---- and I am happy with it. I just can't justify spending 500 for a light you know? I put a pheonix bulb in it recently probably 2 or 3 months ago and it has been doing just fine. I think it is from hombby but I am not sure.

M

markeo99

same place on the bay search icecap some have long chords and some are short

robn70

I picked up a 4 bult t-5 unit for around $100.00 a few months back as my PC retro finally died after 5 yrs. It was all I could afford at the time. It doesn't have the intensity as my old 2 bulb pc unit, but as a temp solution it will have to do.