Tieing a tie

elfdoctors

What kind of a knot did you use?
I wear a tie all the time at work. I use a full windsor knot. I have gradually developed quite a selection of ties and can go for 5-6 months without repeating (particularly around the Christmas holidays). Some of these have fun and unusual designs but I can get away with wearing them because I do some pediatrics over the course of a day.
However, I only have 1 clip-on bow tie.

effloresce

Windsor here, i have only about 6 of them(south park, family guy, white, black, navy blue, and a white one with all my friends signatures on it)
im looking to get more lol
ya, im trying the bow now, realy hard thing this is lol

knots

Congratulations, You're in 9th grade and can tie a tie. I hate to even admit it, but I'm 46 and my wife ties mine.:D I do only wear one probably once a year. Don't tell my wife, then she'll make me learn how.

molamola

Hey Knots.
This is a dumb question, but I noticed you live in Clovis. I don't know how large a town that is, but I know that Pelco headquarters is there and I've heard that it is like the Mecca of the Security industry and was just curious if you'd ever been there. :)
Now returning to the topic. Congratulations on learning to tie a tie. If you decide to wear one, avoid fans or large turbine engines. Neckties can be quite dangerous.

knots

Mola, I used to drive by it everyday. Now just occasionally. I have never been inside though. A couple of years ago they were really expanding, but I don't really know what they are doing now. Yea from what I hear they are world famous for their technology. So which side are you on, the security side or the side that tries to get through the security. :D
Clovis is growing way too fast. I think we're over 80,000 and we connect with Fresno and I think they are over 400,000 now.
And Efflo, You're really making me look bad. 9 seconds to tie a tie. I couldn't even do it in 9 or 90 minutes. I gotta ask, I didn't realize 9th graders even wore ties. I think it's great, but why did you decide to learn?

schneidts

I wear a tie almost everyday for work. Have you tried anything other than the windsor knot, such as the 4 in hand or Pratt knots?

effloresce

Originally posted by schneidts
I wear a tie almost everyday for work. Have you tried anything other than the windsor knot, such as the 4 in hand or Pratt knots?

nope, i should today.

effloresce

welll i have 4 in a hand down, but every time i do it, i always end up witht he skinny side longer then the thick side, is this the way its supposed to be?

schneidts

Nope, you need to start with the fat end 12 inches below the the skinny end. Is that how you're doing it? When your done, the knot should be tight and the skinny end should be 2-3 inches higher than the fat end.

bergamer

ok, i have 80 or so ties
I wear one almost everyday
and your tie should always come down to the top of your belt
no matter how you are looking at the fat and skinny part of the tie

molamola

Not to brag...but as a female who spent eight years as a Sea Scout, bored half to death on a sailboat bound for nowhere, I learned to tie that knot, along with many others using my feet...and my eyes closed. So, if I were ever in a tragic accident and lost both arms and went blind, I would still be able to help my husband put his tie on, although, who would want someone's feet all over their tie?:thinking:

knots

Now you're all really starting to get on my nerves. Everybody bragging about how good they can tie a tie. It was bad enough when a 9th grader could tie a tie in 9 seconds just to impress his girlfriend (great reason to learn though). Or a Liontamer that can tie a tie with his eyes closed (probably with his head in a lions mouth). Now it's a female that says she could tie a tie being blind with no arms, and tie it with her feet. At 46 I guess you people have forced me to learn how to tie a tie. I hate you all for making me do this.:mad: :mad: :D
P.S. Am I the only one on SWF.com that doesn't tie my own tie. Please help