Time for a new skimmer?

tacks

I have a Berlin Turbo hang on. It's about 8 years old but I recently replaced the impellar (sp?). It seems to foam alot but it takes about 2 months for the cup to fill completely. 125g... DSB... 120#LR... 3 Yellow Tangs (3")... 1 Flame Angel... 1 Fridmani... 1 Lawnmower... 4 Green Chromis... Misc Inverts.
Time for a new skimmer?

gatorwpb

Id say so. With that bioload on a large tank like that, you should be skimming a whole lot more. I empty my EuroReef RS-100 weekly because it gets filled with nasty stuff.
If you dont have a sump, youre limited to HOB skimmers, and I am not too familiar with those to give you a recommendation.

primetizzle

hey I have no fish in my tank. Just coral,inverts,lr,ls. and my skimmer never foams. I have only emptied the canister once in the last month....is that a bad thing?

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by Tacks
http:///forum/post/2643088
This is in the sump. It hangs on the side of it. Sorry for the confusion.
If you have a sump and have room for an appropriately sized skimmer, then definitely upgrade. It depends on your budget. Definitely check out the classifieds on this website, because there are good deals from time to time on skimmers, as people are constantly upgrading and maybe you can pick up something for pretty cheap.
If you want to buy new, look at the Octopus (NW-200) or Xtreme skimmers for best value/performance. I love my EuroReef RS-100 and the RS-135 model would be good on your tank but may be more than you want to spend.

Originally Posted by primetizzle

http:///forum/post/2643605
hey I have no fish in my tank. Just coral,inverts,lr,ls. and my skimmer never foams. I have only emptied the canister once in the last month....is that a bad thing?
If you dont have much nutrients in your tank because your not feeding, then it may be ok. More info would be needed such as tank size, brand and model of skimmer, and other tank details to determine whether you should be getting better skimmer performance.