Time for a water change?

wocka1

Ive had my 30g cube tank set up for a month and I notice this sort of light green/brown film going on the top of the fishtank.. Think I need to do a water change?

K

keeka333

U might want to clean out the skimmer, sometimes when the skim weakens it means that it needs to be cleaned, especially if you're seeing this stuff on top of the water. How is the flow in your tank? Do you have powerheads?

J

jupoc911

definitly a flow problem. Try a powerhead on top of the water. It well get better circulation. What kind of skimmer are you running?

jhebi

maybe is the food you feeding your fishes and they are staying at the top of the tank.....
put some ph's for water flow......it will be gone in a sec...

wocka1

My skimmer is an Excalibur 100.. One of my powerheads was off and it might of been off for a few days who knows, I'll probly end up doing a 5g water change sometime in the next week to try to elimate that gunk
When I first purchased my skimmer the skim was really chunky and a really dark brown.. this was when I had it HOB my 20g tank, now that I changed to a 30g cube it is in the sump.. Now it makes more of a light green watery skim.. all the corals look way healthier in the new tank thought:)

fishieness

aim a powerhead so you have more surface movement. itll mix all around and youll get it out with the skimmer. If you cant do anything now but a water change, try to siphone out as much of the water on the surface as you can.

K

keeka333

Yeah I'd do a water change and if you find the time to clean out the skimmer, it made a HUGE difference in my tank when i really took the skimmer apart and scrubbed around at the different parts, etc. Anyways, good luck!