Time for the jury...

king4345

I feel as though the community here is full of reasonable persons with years of knowledge and the ability to make rash decisions. I recently sold all my corals and fish in preperation to move. One of the items I sent was damaged in shipping. Well, the reciever claims the box had damage and was wet. They then opened the box and force the postman to take it back with him. In essence refusing the delivery instead of trying to salvage the item or just take it and send me pictures. Now they want a full refund for a coral that I feel certain would have lived had they acclimated it slowly and made the attempt instead of flat out refusing it... This was a colony of AOG zoos. Pretty hardy and could have slimed enought to handle the stress. How would you all handle this because, I am sorta at the cross road in this one.

reefer545

Was it shipped OVERNITE? That is a huge part. I have had boxed show up wet, adn the corals be fine. Zoas especially should have no problem recovering from an overnite journey like that. Without pics or positive proof of death on delivery, I would never give that person a second thought other than they are unwilling to take responsibility for the risk at hand. Once you ship an item, we all know the carrier is not going to handle the item as well as we would like, and it is not our responsibility unless INDESPUTABLE EVIDENCE is given. Tough stuff for the buyer. They should have taken the time to do it right instead of accuse you.

earlybird

I wonder if it's possible to have a process like SWF does where fish have to be dripped a certain way and have a 15 or whatever day guarantee. Reciever would have do do certain things including take pictures after x amount of days you will refund them if certain factors don't work out.
Hope this makes sense.

renogaw

technically, once the product leaves your hands, it is the carriers responsibility. the receiver has the responsibility to file a claim with the carrier for damages to the shipment, but is never supposed to refuse shipment.

S

smartorl

They definitely should have taken it and contacted you about the potential problem immediately. A wet box is not indication of the status of the shipment. I have had some zoas arrived in hot boxes (two days late because of a shipping error) that I thought were goners that opened right up after slow acclimation which really surprised me. The buyer really messed up on this one.

trippkid

I agree with everyone, if the buyer refused the shipment, then SOL for any type of refund or replacement for them. Sounds like an a hole to me. I wounldn't sweat over it, they were very irresponsible or inexperienced for refusing the package.

teen

i wouldnt even think about refunding their money.
any person who has a basic understanding of corals/ this hobby would have known that the coral was most most likely still alive/ had a good chance of survivng. especially zoas.

don lino

What a tard the receiver was... Sorry but that kinda crap is just wrong. He may have just flushed them down the toilet. Not excepting that package and putting them through more stress was just cold. Zoas and paly's are some of the most hardiest shippers and are even shipped in damp paper towels and or damp newspapers.
This person should not receive a refund nor even to be in this hobby. Sorry

mscarpena

I agree I would not entertain his demands for a refund, but you have to decide and your decision should be based on the discussions that you had with him prior to shipping. Did you offer a live arrival garuntee. Did you mention anything before hand about refusing shipments, also if you offer a live arrival garuntee what are your terms. Such as picture proof of dead coral. IT does not even look like they tried or would even know if the coral was dead or alive. Good luck. I had some one leave corals outside overnight, e-mail me the next day, and I was going to replace the live stock for free if they paid shipping. There response was what type of garauntee is that. I also had a guy recently wait 3 weeks to ship my corals and broke 4 arranged shipping dates and can not understand why I was upset. Go figure. There are all sorts of unreasonable people.

[hr]
unreasonable people.

king4345

Yes, the coral was overnighted. There was no request made for insurance on the buyers behalf. I also made no promise it would arrive alive. I know how things get handled. I have recieved a few wet ones before and those corals actually became some of my most prized pieces. I don't understand the refusal of the shipment... You already may have a loss why make it harder for yourself. I would have bet all the money in this deal they would have lived. I put a good amount of time into them for this... I have no intention of a refund. I have never seen this in all my years in the hobby.