Time to find a skimmer

crimzy

Looking for a used skimmer for my 450 gallon. The system will be a bit over 600 gallons total and will be fairly well stocked. Any suggestions on a good skimmer that I can probably pick up used. I'm hoping to spend no more than $600 on the skimmer.
Any suggestions?

whyamisofl

MSX300 would be a GREAT choice!
I have the msx160 (on a 60g) and it is by far the best skimmer I have used to date!

crimzy

Looks like a really nice skimmer for the money. There is also an ASM G5 for roughly the same $$. Any opinions on this skimmer?

crimzy

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2684566
MSX is a MUCH better skimmer
Yeah... I just read through another thread with the same debate. Not looking to stir up the hornet's nest here...
Is the MSX a division of Octopus? I found them under the octopus heading when I searched. Also, are there any necessary mods with the MSX 300 and is the pump that comes with it adequate? Thanks for the advice.

whyamisofl

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2684572
Yeah... I just read through another thread with the same debate. Not looking to stir up the hornet's nest here...
Is the MSX a division of Octopus? I found them under the octopus heading when I searched. Also, are there any necessary mods with the MSX 300 and is the pump that comes with it adequate? Thanks for the advice.
Only mod I did was change out the air tubing ($1) because they send you some cheap stuff....
The only place you can get the msx line of skimmers is from Marine Solutions......from what I recall reading, there isn't any relation between the two.

joncat24

The msx skimmers and the Octo/ msx skimmers are made in the same place. The octo's are copies of the msx. They are the same price, but I lean towards the marine solutions model because Joe and Rob are awesome guys to deal with. That, and the fact that, marine solutions designed them and they have all of the bugs worked out now.
The cheaper airline tubing is relaced now, and they also come with extra mesh to re-do your impellar when needed. The flatback mesh will last around a year or so though.

snakeblitz33

heh, if I were you, I would at least try out a Bermuda 5c. They are reasonably priced, I think around 499.99 USD. It should be plenty for your tank.
I am using one right now on a heavily stocked 240 gallon reef tank and it is working very, very well.

crimzy

Any opinions on the bermuda? At this point, it looks like I'll be choosing between the new MSX, new bermuda or a slightly used, slightly more expensive bubblemaster 250. What do you think?