timers for lights

drewster

I searched everywhere for a couple timers for my lights on the fish tank. The only problem i see is that all the timers i find are 2-pronged only. My lights have 3 prongs including the ground prong. Does anybody know where i can go to buy a 3-pronged timer? I went to all the hardware stores i could find and they said i'd probably have to go to my LFS. I know my LFS is going to charge me up the wazoo if he even has them. I'd settle for an online site that sells it at a cheap price. Thanks

greg

Originally posted by Drewster:
I searched everywhere for a couple timers for my lights on the fish tank. The only problem i see is that all the timers i find are 2-pronged only. My lights have 3 prongs including the ground prong. Does anybody know where i can go to buy a 3-pronged timer? I went to all the hardware stores i could find and they said i'd probably have to go to my LFS. I know my LFS is going to charge me up the wazoo if he even has them. I'd settle for an online site that sells it at a cheap price. Thanks

I'm sure someone is going to give me hell for this but i use 2 timers for my lights and i just went to local hardware and got the 2/3 prong adapter it cost about a buck and i have had no prblems for a year.i realize i have lost the ground capability but it has given me no problems so far. good luck

drewster

I was thinking of doing the same thing actually but i wanted to save that as my last resort. But its good to know somebody actually uses the adapter.

broomer5

Drewster,
I recall seeing some "outdoor" weather protected timers at Home Depot. I believe they were 3 wire devices, designed to be hard-wired. You could very easily get a 3-prong plug and wire it yourself. I really like the timers, they were very well built, but rather expensive. If you have a store in your area maybe give'm a call.
Broomer

fcalev

I have purchased 3 prong timers at both Home Depot and Lowes hardware stores. I use 1 for my white lights and 1 for my blue lights.

hermit

Home Depot has them.. I am sure of it... I was just there... I think there something like $8 - $12 or something like that... If you don't see them in the electrical dept (which is the first place I checked) look in home lighting...
Good Luck..