Timers for lights

I seem to be making some companies rich by purchasing programable timers for my lighting. The timers have dual outlets on them- I use one for the MH and then the other one for the T5's & fans. I try to purchase the MOST heavy duty I can but at the most they last 3 wks. Am I doing something wrong- or is there too much voltage for these little things to handle? What is everybody else doing???

eklikewhoa

I am using all these with zero problems....
Marineland
Current/Outer Orbit
Coralife digital
Homes(?) cheapie $3 from HomeDepot

siline

Originally Posted by DameInDistress
http:///forum/post/2705871
I seem to be making some companies rich by purchasing programable timers for my lighting. The timers have dual outlets on them- I use one for the MH and then the other one for the T5's & fans. I try to purchase the MOST heavy duty I can but at the most they last 3 wks. Am I doing something wrong- or is there too much voltage for these little things to handle? What is everybody else doing???
How many MH's are you running on the timer???
Check the "capacity" of the timer (amps) & the total you have on it. Be sure not to over drive it, or you'll cut the life of the timer...

ifirefight

Home depot or lowes sells digital OUTDOOR RATED timers....thats the ones you want. About 30 bucks but they will last a very long time. I have 4 on my 130 gallon. Hrer is a picture of 2 of them. They are the 2 at the top of the picture...the other things are dosing pumps.

T

tfolke1

I fought with my Coralife timer constantly and finally switched to the Heavy Duty Cheap ones at Home Depot. Seemed like every time I did anything with the tank it got knocked out of sync. I had to add a second power strip to make room for them, but I've found them much more dependable. Just make sure you get the Heavy Duty ones, the regular lamp timers are not grounded.