Tiny Black Dots

roscoe ii

Any idea on what could be on my yellow tang. I have noticed tiny black dots much like pepper on both sides of its body. They look slightly raised
Thanks

bang guy

It might be a Scale Fluke called Black Ick. This is mostly harmless unless it's allowed to gro out of control. It's probably the only parasite that can actually be eliminated by Cleaner Shrimp.

roscoe ii

After I posted my question I found other posts regarding what I think is the same thing. Any cause for alarm? Should I QT the fish and treat and if so how. Or keep water clean and it will subside on it's own. I do have a banded shrimp and the tang does approach several times while I watch but....the shrimp does not seem to care much.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It does sound like Black Ich but I wouldn't take it lightly. No, it doesn't kill as quickly as Ich [white spot], but in a closed system [aquaria] it proliferates rapidly and can become a serious problem.
The best thing you can do is formalin bathes for all infected fish. The parasite is easily seen on light fish [yellow tang] but it can certainly infect other fish as well and go unnoticed due to darker coloration of fish. I suggest using a magnifying glass and giving all your fish the once over for a few days to see if you see any other fish with the infection.
The procedure for formalin bathes is listed in the FAQ Thread.
Also, by chance, do you have a pic of the infected tang?

roscoe ii

Actually the same tang in my Averon. Can't get close enough to show dots.
Thanks for reply. Any thoughts on QT thread I just posted?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
YOu can certainly place the fish in a QT. You will need to remove the fish for each treatment with formalin [as prescribed in the post on formalin bathes in the FAQ Thread].
It will make it easier on you and fish, if the tang was in a QT. However, if you don't have a cycled QT, it will be a chore to keep good water conditions in an uncycled QT.