Tiny collection trip

aw2

AmandaL and I hit up a local tide pool area, today and started collecting Nassarius Snails.
We stopped putting them in the bucket, when we couldnt see any part of the bucket (5 gal. bucket for salt mix).
We estimated that we collected at least 300, plus a few large snails, a few med - large hermits and a live clam.

I dont think the big guy is a Hermit, and he looks like hes ready for a fight!! LOL
Wish you lived in Mi I could use some more snails.

aw2

I'm collecting all of these from Melbourne, FL.
They're common Nassarius Snails...the same ones we all pay $1.00+ for, at the LFS.
The Hermits are in fact safe to go into the tank also. I've seen numerous online retails (including this site), that sell them.

celacanthr

That is awesome! I wish I lived close enough to the shore to do that!
are you putting that crab in the third pic in your tank?

sharkbait9

I have to add something to this. When I dive here in jersey and find those snails and hermits I collect them and use them in my 55 set at 76 deg w/o one problem. I have yet to pay for any more snails and hermits. the only snails I pay for are the turbo, cause you really are not going to find those in jersey. I will however keep an eye out. my feather dusters are just as nice and big as the ones lfs charge 21 bucks for. the snails and hermits alone maybe one or three parish and that just life. I acclimate them the same way. every thing I put in my tank get a float for 15-20 min and then dripped for 45-60 min and each and every critter has been fine. I think that speaks for itself. That crab does look like a blue claw or some other type of "bad crap" its got points at the tips of its claws and as far as I know, if the claws come to a point that’s bad in a tank. The claws should come to a blunt or rounded tip. My disclaimer *what works for me and some others my not work for you, always be vigilant when it comes to adding any type of inhabitant to your tank* and now back to regular scheduled program.

Hey Aw2 collect me about 50 to 75 of those hermits and I will pay-you for them when you get back up north and when I go down to the southbeach and the keys I will grab you some blue-legs and snails. :joy:

aw2

We're probably going back to collect more tomorrow.
We had one crab that was the size of a softball, with huge, mean, pointed claws. I was going to set up a species only for him, but ended up giving him away to another guy, who was collecting crabs for bait.
I figure that most stores sell them for aprox. $1.00 each. I could sell 15 for $10 and make a little cash. I'll decide whether or not I want to sell any once I get back home and put them in my tanks.

S

surfinusa

cool i live really close to tide pools but i havent been there in a while but want to find a couple snails,crabs,fish stuff like that would be cool but you are so lucky

kpptn

i have also collected all of the same in florida in the last couple years the light colored crab in your second pic is aggrsive and will get rather large. the snails will be fine and are indead the same that we will find at our LFS! The hermits will also be fine. All the experiences I have had with collecting livestock has done well in my own aquariums!

aw2

I just changed out their water and put them in a new bucket.
I counted 398 Nassarius Snails, 4 larger snails, 5 Hermits (one died), and a one clam.