Tiny Feather dusters

kedabo

I have several dozen of these little (they are only about 1/4 inch tall) feather dusters on my LR. Is this a good sign or a bad one. I know this is probably a dumb question but I am still new to this hobby.

marsha

those dont look like feather dusters to me ... they look more like majano anemones.. and if that is in fact what they are ,,,, they are bad and need to get rid of them... lets see if anyone else agrees with what i see...

marsha

ok ... :hilarious well i was close.... i guess i am brain dead today.. now that i look at it again.. yea... that is what i ment...
but anyway they need to be gotten rid of... not a good thing... i use joes juice to kill mine..

kedabo

They have a tube like base. Into which they retreat when a snail or hermit climbs over them. Here are pics showing the tubes. Also i tried Joe's Juice on one when i was having an infestation of pest anemone and it is still there.

stanlalee

those are worm/feather duster tubes. if they were there already it just signifys the rock was likely in or came from an overly nutrient rich envirnment. The numbers will decline and rise based on how nutrient free or abundant you keep your water. I have rocks that look like they built great worm villages, just sticks all over em (not duster end but obviously worm made). I'm pretty sure the worms are no longer there but the sticks are. Tommorow I'll post a pick. Based on the amount of algae there I'm lead to believe you have high nutrient water. While I have the worm sticks I have virtually no algae growth on my liverock.

T

tizzo

Your all wrong. They are hydroids! Just ignore them , they will only stress you out. There is no way to get rid of them and if they are not near corals then they are harmless. Not beneficial, but harmless none the less.
Good shot of such a tiny critter though!

bigarn

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Your all wrong. They are hydroids! Just ignore them , they will only stress you out. There is no way to get rid of them and if they are not near corals then they are harmless. Not beneficial, but harmless none the less.
Good shot of such a tiny critter though!
Yep .. looking at the other pics I think Tizzo is right.

stanlalee

I'm not convinced the tubes from the 1rst pic in post #5 arent worm tubes. The other pics I'll take Tizzo's word for it.

T

tizzo

Tube worms, aka feather dusters and vermetid snails look like these,,,