Tiny Hippo Tang

bpro32

Ok so I've heard from several people that the tiny hippo tangs are not hardy at all. Why is this? Hard to get them to eat? Weak immune system? Very sensitive to water quality? What is the trick to getting one that will survive?

jackri

Get one bigger than 1 or 2" to start. I bought a WYSIWYG yellow belly blue hippo from another site that was 4-5" to start and fat. Took him literally 10-12 days to get him to eat and not be so shy but was healthy and fat to start and doing great.
I think they just aren't very hardy that small for all the stress they are put through.

flower

Originally Posted by bpro32
http:///forum/post/3162492
Ok so I've heard from several people that the tiny hippo tangs are not hardy at all. Why is this? Hard to get them to eat? Weak immune system? Very sensitive to water quality? What is the trick to getting one that will survive?

Stress...they can't handle any stress. Keep the tank warm and don't have it around bullies. My tang was the size of my pinkie fingernail, he was a freebie...he is now about 3.5 inches and growing.

bpro32

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3162513

Stress...they can't handle any stress. Keep the tank warm and don't have it around bullies. My tang was the size of my pinkie fingernail, he was a freebie...he is now about 3.5 inches and growing.
I heard the same thing on another site. Not many people have had success with them but this is the general consensus from those who have.
Thanks! :)

mr.clownfish

im going to try a group of 3 or maybe just 2 tiny 1" blue tangs in my 180 when it gets ready
. i cant wait to see how it goes.

flower1459

I got one and put him in my 180 about a month or two ago. He was the size of a dime when I bought him and I was terrified he was going to die, but I just had to have him of course. He's done really well. I was concerned that some fish may pick on him, but everyone's left him alone. Never had a problem getting him to eat. He was on pellets before I brought him home and man - he goes to bat against a 6in naso tang and a 4in sargassum trigger like he owns the joint when it comes to food. - brave little guy He's getting bigger every day, I'd say he's between the size of a nickel and a quarter now in just 1-2 months time. It's just like Nemo, he hangs out with my pair of

[hr]
clown fish. He's never more than an inch away from them at any given time, they actually share their "anemone" (flower pot coral) with him and they usually chase fish out of it. I've heard some people have challenges, but I've been very fortunate to have such an easy time with him. It's so much fun watching them grow! Good luck to you!

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/3162492
The problem is indeed related to food, and is two-fold. First, yep, sometimes it's hard to get extremely small fish to eat prepared foods. The main issue is most of the foods we offer are simply too big for their little mouths to swallow. And on the flip side, it's often too hard to get them properly sized foods, before the foods lost somewhere into your tank, and their often skiddish nature doesn't help.
The second, and the significantly larger issue, is their rapid dietary demands. For the activity level of most baby fish is incredibly high, vs the amount of food their tiny bellies can hold, and the next to no fat reserves they have. This is main problem, as with the current system of getting fish from the wild to your LFS typically involves a minimum of 5 days, all which involves the fish not being fed. They quickly starve past the point of no return. This is also one of the cases IMO where you might see better numbers with baby fish placed directly into the tank, instead of QT, as they can feed off the live rock. Of course this is never recommended, given the risks with diseases, especially associated with tangs. Thus requiring many meals a day, often which most aquarists can't met.

saltwaterri

I have had mine for about 8 mounths, every time i clean the gass he gets ich but goes away in a day or so . All of my clowns and tangs get along very well.

spanko

Where are these tiny hippos coming from, are they tank raised or wild caught? I am strating to see them everywhere.

bpro32

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3162909
The problem is indeed related to food, and is two-fold. First, yep, sometimes it's hard to get extremely small fish to eat prepared foods. The main issue is most of the foods we offer are simply too big for their little mouths to swallow. And on the flip side, it's often too hard to get them properly sized foods, before the foods lost somewhere into your tank, and their often skiddish nature doesn't help.
The second, and the significantly larger issue, is their rapid dietary demands. For the activity level of most baby fish is incredibly high, vs the amount of food their tiny bellies can hold, and the next to no fat reserves they have. This is main problem, as with the current system of getting fish from the wild to your LFS typically involves a minimum of 5 days, all which involves the fish not being fed. They quickly starve past the point of no return. This is also one of the cases IMO where you might see better numbers with baby fish placed directly into the tank, instead of QT, as they can feed off the live rock. Of course this is never recommended, given the risks with diseases, especially associated with tangs. Thus requiring many meals a day, often which most aquarists can't met.
This is information I have gathered so far:
IF you choose to get one of these baby hippos you will need a small tank dedicated to them. It can either be a completely separate tank or be plumbed into you DT. It should have well established lr for grazing and premium water quality. When feeding, put in small amounts of very small foods multiple times daily and shut off pumps so that the food doesn't get blown around too much.
Sound about right?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3162922
Where are these tiny hippos coming from, are they tank raised or wild caught? I am strating to see them everywhere.
I was told most are coming from Fiji & Indonesia.
I don't know of any tank raised tangs of any species. But, Asian breeders often sell tank-bred fish (mostly angels) for a long time before they "go public".

penske38

I have a regal tang in my 125G tank. I've had it for maybe four months and he was also small when I bought it. However, he has grown so fast! He is practically the size of the majority of my other fish now. I introduced him to an established tank with a large blonde naso tang, emperor angelfish, 2 foxface fish, chocolate tang, powder blue tang, powder brown tang, 2 two-striped damsels, niger triggerfish and 2 clownfish. He began eating relatively quickly. However, I believe it to be the diet that will increase your success. I only feed all my fish one food and that's it, nothing else at all...NewLife Spectrum. My fish are thriving and have been on this food solely for the past year and their colors and growth are great! Nitrates are also at zero, I might add.

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/3162953
This is information I have gathered so far:
IF you choose to get one of these baby hippos you will need a small tank dedicated to them. It can either be a completely separate tank or be plumbed into you DT. It should have well established lr for grazing and premium water quality. When feeding, put in small amounts of very small foods multiple times daily and shut off pumps so that the food doesn't get blown around too much.
Sound about right?
Pretty good. One point of concern would if that separate tank is plumbed to your DT, and the baby hippo does have some disease, you'll be pumping the disease right into your DT.
And just a basic point about purchase, this might be hard a dime sized hippo, but try to see if the fish's stomach area, just under their pectoral fins, is pinched/sunken in at all. If so, look for another fish.
Originally Posted by srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3162961
I was told most are coming from Fiji & Indonesia.
I don't know of any tank raised tangs of any species. But, Asian breeders often sell tank-bred fish (mostly angels) for a long time before they "go public".
I thought most of them were 'maricultured'? The larvae was collected and raised, not necessary for hippos, more so cool angels, etc...%%

srfisher17

I thought most of them were 'maricultured'? The larvae was collected and raised, not necessary for hippos, more so cool angels, etc...%%
You may be right. I saw some Angels described as "tank" raised, that's different than "tank bred" or "aquacultured". I don't want any "aquacultured" fish, sounds too much like produce. (...and many FW fish are close to "produce" because of the endless inbreeding.) I'm sure, though (Fenner's book) that some angels have been tank bred using some sort of hormone technique. With "tank raised" Angels, I wonder how they sort through the plankton soup to find the right larvae?

bpro32

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3163110
Pretty good. One point of concern would if that separate tank is plumbed to your DT, and the baby hippo does have some disease, you'll be pumping the disease right into your DT.
Yes you're right. I actually have a 20g tank plumbed into a 60g tank that I use as a holding tank for new fish. It isn't really the DT but I watch them in there and if they show signs of disease I'll move from there to qt.

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3164014
Yes you're right. I actually have a 20g tank plumbed into a 60g tank that I use as a holding tank for new fish. It isn't really the DT but I watch them in there and if they show signs of disease I'll move from there to qt.
By the time you see any see any disease or parasite; so has every fish in your system. I really can't think of any better advice I've ever gotten than "QT Everything!". Like many of us, I had to learn the hard way.

bpro32

btter the 1 or 2 fish I might have in the holding tank than the $100's of dollars of fish in my dt...

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3164342
btter the 1 or 2 fish I might have in the holding tank than the $100's of dollars of fish in my dt...
........but isn't your DT on the same system as the holding tank, or am I reading it wrong? If it is, all the fish in your DT are exposed to any parasite/disease in your holding tank.

bpro32

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3164592
........but isn't your DT on the same system as the holding tank, or am I reading it wrong? If it is, all the fish in your DT are exposed to any parasite/disease in your holding tank.
no dt and holding tank are separate.
holding tank is a 60g plumbed with a 20g. They were originally plumbed together so I could hold lions in the 60g and a firefish in the 20g. Lions have been sold but I'll keep them plumbed like this so I can separate big aggressive fish from peaceful fish when necessary.