tiny pod ID please

azocean709

Sorry there is no picture as i have yet to get a digital camera....i have tons of the little lice looking cope pods, but after being gone for a week i have little pods stuck all over the glass that look like: a white sugar sized dot in the middle with 5 little , almost translucent arms that sway in the current. the size of the things are maybe a 32nd of an inch across. they almost look like tiny baby starfish, but they do not move. I have looked and looked and can gather nothing of what they are. any help would be great..
thank you.

azocean709

it does look like an itzy bitzy little star, but they don't move...and my tank has been up for quite some time, and all of a sudden they appeared...I did add two 10 pound chunks of live rock...about 2 or 3 weeks ago, maybe they came in with them....and there are so many of them...just taking a guess at the front and side glass im estimating about 200 or so.
anyone else have any ideas?

bonebrake

Do they look like this?

These are harmless hydroids. I have about 200 or more on the glass in my 24 gal. nano cube. I blow them off every week and they come back.
:joy:

azocean709

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Do they look like this?

These are harmless hydroids. I have about 200 or more on the glass in my 24 gal. nano cube. I blow them off every week and they come back.
:joy:
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!!! thanks for the info bonebrake. does anything eat um? my firefish eat the crap out of the copepods, but i dont see them touching these hydroids.

dennycrane

Geez Doc, where have you been? I've had those things on my glass forever and couldn't figure out what they were. I assumed they were plankton anemones or aiptasia. My pep shrimp loves them.