tiny seahorses

debbie

Is there such a thing as a very tiny seahorse?? If so what is the min size of tank they can be kept in??

dingus890

Yes there are Dwarf seahorses.They can be maintained in 2 to 10 gallon saltwater aquariums, based on how many you have.They only get about 1.5 inches full grown(That is including their tail!)They are very tiny and require constant supplies of live enriched baby brine shrimp that you have to hatch at home.
Rykna has had a great deal of experience on dwarfs.So I am sure she can help you a lot if your interested.
Also there is a fantastic book by Alisa Wagner called 'The Complete Guide to Dwarf Seahorses in the Aquarium'.
There is also pygmy seahorses but they are rarely available in the aquarium trade.

debbie

Thanks for the reply. Nope they are not for me as we do some travelling and would be to much for our boys to look after. Thanks for the info though.

rykna

Originally Posted by Debbie
http:///forum/post/2781191
Thanks for the reply. Nope they are not for me as we do some travelling and would be to much for our boys to look after. Thanks for the info though.

They're easy!!!! How old are you boys? My daughter, Aria, is 7 and she can take care of my ponies
I'd be happy to help you

This is Titan, my big male~ 1.25 inches

dingus890

Yes from what I have heard they are one of the more hardy kinds of seahorses.And they are just so cute and amazing with their size.They are not that expensive either compared to other horses.
I actually when I first started wanted my first salt tank to be a 2.5 gallon Dwarf tank.It wasn't the hatching the brine it was the hydroids that deterred me.

I still want ponies but don't have the time for them with my 3 tanks.
But Debbie they are worth a try if you are interested in them.I see in your profile you have a 1 gallon with corals.If you can maintain corals in such a small tank,dwarfs should be pretty easy.

Do you still have dwarfs Rykna?

rykna

Working on it.
I'm getting ponies as an early Christmas present. I'm taking my time setting up my 38g sump and 15g high display tank(DT). I want to give my sterilized sand and rock plenty of time to revive. I've been seeding the sand with cultured pods to prevent any more disasters from hydroids.
I just got the 38g today and I've spent the last 5-6 hours transferring everything from the 55g to the 38g. After I finished that I brought in my 15g DT. I still have to set up the sump return flow pump. I should have that done by Halloween. Then depending on the temperature here in Minnesota I'll order my ponies.

debbie

Yes I do still have my 1 gal, it is my only saltwater tank I have. My corals are doing amazingly well. I do weekly water changes and keep everything in check. I did not know you could keep seahorses in such a small tank.
The only thing that discourages me is the live brine, can you use frozen baby brine??
My boys are teenagers, 17 & 18 and let me tell you I threatened them in inch of their lives when we just went away on a cruise for a week. These little tanks are so much fun but you have to keep them topped up all the time other than that I find them a breeze.
So back to these ponies, what is the name of the smallest kind you can get and would 2 live in a tank of 1 gal or just 1 of them??

dingus890

Really dwarf seahorses are the only seahorse that can live in smaller tanks of 10 gallon and under.You could probably have 4 in the 1 gallon tank.I am not sure they can be kept with some corals though.Since they are so small the corals that may not harm other fish may kill them.
Yes the hatching of BBS everyday doesn't sound fun but I have heard it is pretty simple.
Some dwarfs have been known to eat frozen but it really is only one in awile.They usually are only interested in live foods like baby brine and copepods.
As for your boys taking care of them I am sure they could handle it if you went away.I am only 19and keep 3 saltwater tank going.Just leave tons of post-its and explain over and over what to do..lol
Rykna could have you set up for dwarfs in a week..

debbie

Well as neat as they do sound, I don't think they would be for me. I love my corals in there and they might be a bit of a problem. I really want a simple life and hatching brineshrimp just does not fit in. But I sure do appreciate the time one takes to raise these beautiful creatures that is for sure.
Thanks again......

rykna

Originally Posted by Debbie
http:///forum/post/2781969
Yes I do still have my 1 gal, it is my only saltwater tank I have. My corals are doing amazingly well. I do weekly water changes and keep everything in check. I did not know you could keep seahorses in such a small tank.
The only thing that discourages me is the live brine, can you use frozen baby brine??
My boys are teenagers, 17 & 18 and let me tell you I threatened them in inch of their lives when we just went away on a cruise for a week. These little tanks are so much fun but you have to keep them topped up all the time other than that I find them a breeze.
So back to these ponies, what is the name of the smallest kind you can get and would 2 live in a tank of 1 gal or just 1 of them??

No frozen, ponies must be fed live baby brine shrimp(bbs). My mom calls my hatchery my "meth lab"!
Adult size: Most adult ponies average 1 inch to 1.25 inches.

Baby size: Pony fry are born in batches of 3-18 depending on the maturity of the male. They are ready for action the minute they pop out. Pony fry are actually much larger than their larger horse cousin's fry(due to number of fry per pregnancy)...a pony fry can easily fit on your pinky finger nail.

Baby Hunter: Seahorses are predators!

Titan~ largest stallion:

The Brine Shrimp Hatchery set up is very simple, although it may look intimidating at first.

dingus890

Just use a search engine or something and search for Dwarf seahorses for sale.
Also people on Eb ay sell wild ones.

there is a store called cramers caribbein critters on the internet where i bought mine, low prices and great quality, all of them lived