Tiny Tadpole like things.

A

austingirl

Last night while peering into my tank with a flashlight (yes I'm a geek) I saw what appeared to be a bunch of super small tadpole shaped things swimming down near the sand (DSB) along with some super small red worm like things. The "tadpoles" were slightly larger than grains of sand and their eyes kinda glowed with the light and the worms were maybe 1/16th of an inch.
What are they?
I have two clowns, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, 2 emeralds, turbos and other snails.
Sarah

hondo

fellow "Geek" here and what your seeing (tadpole things) are mysis shrimp. They are a pod and are benificial to the tank as a detrivore and source of fish food so consider yourself lucky. They usually get into the tank via LR or LS.
the red things are most likely bristle worms another benificial detrivore especially if you have a sand bed.

If peering into your tank with a flshlight makes you a geek I would say we have quite the collection of geeks here. If not already try a red flashlight cover. seems like things don't run away so bad from the red light.
Rich

cool clown

If you havent look into your tank late at night with a flashlight, You don't know what your missing. I think everyone should try it.:D

nm reef

Count me as another night time viewing geek....you've probably seen assorted pods and bristle worms...both are good for your system and a sign that your system is stable and mature. try a search on the forums here for additioonal info on pods and worms. There has been tons of info posted on both over the years.

A

austingirl

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer! When your new you're still not quite sure what's good and what's bad.
Thanks again,
Sarah
"One time at band camp...."