Tiny white moving dots on glass

shawnhardy

I noticed tonight that there are very small white dots on my glass that seem to be moving. A picture would not even be possible they are so small but they are moving so I think they are alive. Any ideas what these are? Please tell me these are just some kind of harmless pods and not ich or something like that. All fish appear normal. I have not introduced any new fish. Does ich develop out of no where or does it have to come from an infected animal? I cannot see any legs on the dots at all, they are too small.
Water params: Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 15, pH 8.2, temp 80, SG 1.023

dheads

I would very much like to know what it is as well. I noticed the exact same thing in my 46g a few days ago. I agree that a picture would do no good as they are microscopic, although I can tell that they are moving on their own and not from the current of the water. My LFS told me that it was probably a type of shrimp picked up from tne LR I recently added. There are thousands of them, so many in fact that it makes the water look a little cloudy. My water quality is ok except for elevated nitrates but I did a water change today to take care of that.

elfdoctors

It sounds like both of you are having an outbreak of harmless pods. In young tanks, you may get an overgrowth of these. However, after a while, the predators of these pods (which are often larger pods) will also come out of the live rock and start reproducing because of their good food supply. They will regulate their own populations. Later on, these can be beneficial food sources for certain fish.