Tips On Photography

clamp

Hi All
I really want to post some images of my tank, but im having troubles.. I cant seem to get a clear image.. Im using a 2.1 Megapixel Oplympus.. How do you all get such nice clear images??? Help please
Thanks
Clamp

skirrby

try macro mode if you have it.. if you can use a tripod,, use it.. although i rarley do.. very steady hands help. take alot of shots of the same thing,, the smae shot over and over and over,, your more likley to at least get one good one. if it helps turn off all pumps/powerheads if its something like a coral that moves in the curent alot. if your trying fish.. well that can be tricky when they are swiming, i still havent mastered that. read the owners manual that came with the cam. tons of good info in there.. just keep trying and before long you will be posting very clear nice pics

clamp

Yeah i would say never to the flash.. the light would reflect off of the glass of the tank! I was asking my buddy (who just got done cycling his 265!!), and he said to try lower resolution settings on the camera.. Im gonna give that a try and post back with my findings.
Clamp

clamp

Well...
I tried the low resolution photography.. crappy idea. It made bad pictures worse! And then I tried using the flash, and ill tell ya.. not too shabby. It gives the camera something its expecting to focus on, and the images came out nice. The down side is, the flash drowns out the tank lights. In my case i have 50 watts sitting on top of the tank. The flash made the tank look dull. But the fish came out clear.. see below
Clamp

gkp

And by the way some people here have very nice camaras...that cost up to the thousands so all the advice in the world will not help everybody who have camaras that just don't cut it..........In other words sometimes its not the skill its the camara. here is one with my camara and I am no expert but I have some nice shots:rolleyes:

cschumaker

A tripod will help you position your camera to get the shot you want, and help avoid the 'wiggles' that will throw your shot out of focus.
Also, if you use the timer feature that most cameras have, you won't have to worry about causing vibration when you release the shutter.
Be prepared to take a TON of pictures when shooting closeups before you get exactly what you are wanting.
You can hold a piece of white paper in front of your flash to difuse the light. Experimenting with different angles and positions can help get the lighting you want.

sly

I found that using a flash is best for me. The camera has an auto shutter speed and the picture is always blurry when not using a flash because the shutter is open too long.
I use a star light flash setting on my camera which is a little softer than just regular flash. Then I push the camera up to the glass to where it's touching. That way I don't get a reflection off the glass. The pics usually come out clear and sharp. I also use the macro mode so that the camera will focus with the short distance.

ericholcek

If you have the options you can do the following. Turn the ISO up. This will allow to get the picture brighter with using less flash. If you are trying to catch a moving object use a faster shutter speed and take A LOT of pictures. If you are trying to take a still picture you an use a slower shutter speed. Taking pictures is trial and error. I must have taken thousands of firework pictures from the 4th and mabe only 12 came out the way I wanted them to. The ones I kept look like postcards though.