Tissue Recession..I thought I had it right

crzyfshygy

My Hydnophora has been in the tank for about 3-4 weeks, I had it at the top of the tank with 2 150 hqi 20ks on my 65. When I purchased it, it was under 400 w halides14k, but they were like 1-2feet off the tank so I thought it would do ok. For the first week it looked good with polyp extension now it shows some recession. It is losing flesh in some areas.
Water is Mag 1300
Alk 3.5
Nitrates 10
Calcium 480
PH 8.25
I moved it today down to the sand bed because maybe it is getting to much light. The bulbs are 1-2months old. I had this problem with a digitata and it was bleaching so I moved it down and it looks much better. Any ideas? Would to much calcium cause it to rot out?

jonnywater

Hey hi, how ya doin? What kind of water flow are you putting on it? Once again, not responsible for advice given. LOL. My one idea would be that you are not hitting it with a MASSIVE amount of current. If it is in moderate or weak water movement, it could be shedding its flesh to get rid of excess bacteria, nutrients or algae. Which once it started shedding lightly, it could have turned itself into an algae magnet. Most likely an excess of calcium would not cause it to shed or have polyp extension problems. Once you put it in an area of your aquarium, it should probably be kept in one place regardless of what it goes through. Hard Corals are EXTREMELY sensitive to water parameter changes and can undergo many things from tank to tank over a period of 24 hours to a month in order to adjust. The first SPS that I had released a HUGE amount of flesh over about 2 weeks while it was adjusting. Then again you also went from a higher light spectrum of a shallower depth to a lower light spectrum of quite possibly the deepest depth that you can buy. It is most likely just trying to adjust.
It probably needs to shed some flesh and regrow it in order to adjust to completely different light spectrum.

bang guy

If it were mine I would increase the amount of light it's receiving and make sure it's in a place with a lot of waterflow.
These corals have a very powerful sting and can grow rapidly so make sure there are no other corals nearby that it can grow into.

crzyfshygy

Thats a positive outlook and I appreciate it. Jonny you are absoultely right in the moving it aspect. My Digitata was originally placed at the bottom because when I bought it it was under power compacts, so I figured my lights would be to stong to quick....after 3 weeks I moved it up to mid tank and it started bleaching so I moved it up again and it got worse. Now it is back at the bottom and recovering nicely(God Willing) They do not like to be moved. The Hydno. is actually showing some skeleton in small spots and decreased in health in 1 day from taking it to the bottom. So I moved to the highest area of the tank right under the beam and placed a Seio 820 in the near direction and is now getting good flow. I guess we will see what happens. There is not a better place to put it than that! BANG..thanks for the advice. Its always a pleasure when you chime in. Jonny thanks....you have been helping me alot lately! Much appreciated.
SPS corals are hard to keep and they are my favorite. I have been doing this about 1 1/2 years and learn everyday. I have done more reading than I have ever done. I am getting a GEO CALC REACTOR soon to help with my Love for corals. Thanks