Titanium Heater

scsinet

I knew this would come up...

What I understand is that when Eheim aquired Ebo, they had to go through some recertification processes all over again, to get the heaters certified for submersible use. The heaters are the exact same units they used to list as submersible, but until they get recertified, they couldn't call them such anymore, so they had list them as non-submersible.
If you call any of the major vendors or the manufacturer, they will tell you they are in fact submersible, the instructions, specs, and heater casing contradicts that and will only until they get recertified.
Now I'm certainly not going to tell you whether or not to submerse them, but Marine Depot, Foster and Smith, and Eheim themselves have told me that the heaters are submersible, despite the directions. I have submersed mine with no problems, and numerous other people here have too, but make your own decision as to what you want to do. I would suggest calling the manufacturer and hearing it from the horse's mouth yourself.
Edit: I just visited Eheim's web site and they now list the Jager as submersible again, so they must have gotten re-certified!
http://www.eheim.com/jager.htm

earlybird

Hard to see in that picture. Does Jager only make the one? The heaters I have are still in the box and I was going to replace them for fully submersible titanium. Is this the heater in the link you posted? I though it was an issue of it being sealed or not sealed completely that determined submersible or not.
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20051227220214/www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_912000_32941-i.jpg

scsinet

That is what determines it, but in the case of the Jagers, it comes down to certification. The heater in the picture is the one I'm talking about here.
You can't stamp a UL or CSA sticker onto something and call it submersible unless UL and/or CSA evaluates it for safety in this aspect and okays it as safe for immersion.
The heater you have is the same heater that Ebo always sold as submersible, but Eheim can't make the same claim until they get the product recertified. Apparently they just recently did, because now again they are selling the Jagers as submersibles.
The product hasn't changed, just how they advertise it.

earlybird

Thanks. I am taking it upon myself to submerge my heaters when it is time. I'll also have a grounding probe attached to a GFCI.

larryndana

thanks SCSInet, sounds good to me. i was planning on two heaters for my 75, waiting on the tank now....maybe it will be in this week.
you must have espn, you know i've got a 24 and 75. oh, i mean esp,
just kidding.
p.s. would three in my 75 be over cautious?

scsinet

You can't be overcautious with heaters. They are the one piece of equipment most likely to cause serious damage to your system.
...And your profile has your tank sizes in it.

larryndana

Originally Posted by SCSInet
You can't be overcautious with heaters. They are the one piece of equipment most likely to cause serious damage to your system.
...And your profile has your tank sizes in it.

Well i don't know, i'll either go with two or three.
Yeah, i know thats where you got it. unless your stalking me
....just kidding.