to anyone with gobie experience (need help)

mr.bled

yeah so I just picked up a gobie for my setup. and im not sure if it just eats by filtering the sand, as I seen it do, or does it need any other type of diet. I feed my maroon pellets but im not sure the gobie will go for it.
thanks.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by mr.bled
yeah so I just picked up a gobie for my setup. and im not sure if it just eats by filtering the sand, as I seen it do, or does it need any other type of diet. I feed my maroon pellets but im not sure the gobie will go for it.
thanks.
What kind of goby and what size tank do you have? How much live sand do you have? you will almost definately have to supplimet his dietto prevent starvation.

mr.bled

i have a 20g with about 3-4 inches of sand.
as far as the species they advertised it as a white sleeper or sleeker gobie its all white with 3 light blue spots on the gills and has a black tip dorsel. ill try and get pics up.

poniegirl

I added this same fish (white watchman goby) to my 20 long, saltwater Molly tank, and here is my experience:
I feed the mollys flake, the goby eats flake
I feed the mollys pellet, the goby eats pellet
I feed the mollys Formula2, the goby eats it
Mysis shrimp, the goby eats it
and the kicker...
the molly had babies, and you guessed it, the goby ate them.
The more variety, the better, I think to have a happy healthy fish. Though I think fish fry are not a diet requirement, I have to admit I was okay with that fact. If you've had mollys, you'll understand that callous remark.

mr.bled

haha (in a weird way) thanks for your input. I tried feeding it some raw shrimp yesterday but with no luck. so im going to try misis and what not, but so far it hasnt taken the pellets.
thanks.

lion_crazz

I would agree with PonieGirl. The fish definitely needs to be fed, and a well-rounded variety is essential. I would have at least 3 to 4 foods to include in the diet other than the pellets.

poniegirl

If the goby is very new (within 3 days) they may be shy. Don't overfeed, but try a variety...they will give in.
I have fed minced bay shrimp and this guy acts like it is manna.
In a way I think the sand sifting is like a pacifier. Plus they build their "space" that way. And thank goodness.
Given their habits of sand-sifting, I doubt they have a great stomach capacity. And it's probably healthier for your tank to offer small tidbits. Mince that shrimp, add a bit and see.