To get or not to get

deadcrow27

I wanted to pick up this hobby for relaxation.
To get away for the other hobbies that tire you out.
(weightlifting, soccer, basketball)
Money isnt really an issue but time and space is.
Time as in daily check ups not in patience
I read some books and treads here but cant decide if this is for me. Im thinking 55 gallon tank but thats half the size of my room. Going for reef or FOWLR.
sorry for the rambling now to the questions.
1.Is there anyway to limit the maintenace to your fish tank?
Im concerned with water changes because i dont have room in my apartment to keep many gallons of water handy,
and going to the store everyday is annoying.
2.How often would i have to change water if i kept less fish in the tank?
3. How often do i have to check parameters?

nolson

I also live in an apartment. But first I will have to say this is not the hobby to be in if you do not have patience or time... This hobby takes alot of time at least in my book it does. No there isnt really a way to "minimize" maintnance. You will always have to do water top offs and water changes. Checking the parems.. Is your own prefference some check it all the time and im sure some never check it. Im guessing it sort of just depends on how well off you want your tank to be.
Now about the part with you living in an apartment. I do also and have no problems with top offs. I do it about every 2 days I bought a 100 gpd Ro/Di unit from ---- that has a 4 gallon hold tank keep a bucket, heater, and powerhead on the side and the ro/di unit and tank under the sink you install it in.
Nick

dragonboy

I would say its a lot of work to start off with and lots of money and time just to get everything setup correctly depending on what you going for.

daredevil

I am a newbie also and want to have a new hobby like deadcrow27. I know that it is alot of money in the begining but over a long period of time is it expensive? I am young and money is somewhat of an issue. I have enough to buy a 29 gallon kit. I have read Setting up a Saltwater Aquarium by Greogary Skomal. I am very interested in this as a hobby and want to know about how much money and time I need to devote to this. I am out of school for the summer now so time isn't an issue now but when I start school I will have alot of homework. I have alot of patience and I am taking this very slowly going to alot of LFS to price things and learn about this hobby. I do not want to spend alot of money and then everything dies or I get bored with it. Also is it fun or do u get bored after a while. Sorry for Questions but I just wanna learn about this hobby before jumping in. Thank you aloy.

rbmount

It will probably take you 30 min a day to maintain your tank. That's about all I spend daily. One day test water, next clean glass, next top off evaporated water. If you get a tank the initial investment and time is a lot, maintenance some time, but the rewards will be great. Jump in here, ask, read,and learn. There are a lot of great people here who are willing to help out with any problem. And by the way WELCOME!

standish

I run a 20g FOWLR with two A.Ocellaris. I test weekly, run a mag-float to clean the glass once a week, and change about 4 gallons of water weekly. Total maintenence time is about 20 minutes a week.
Doesn't get much easier than that. :D

hey man im a 16 yr old with few time on my hands.....my methods are questionable BUT, i have had a 90 gallon tank running for about a year now and it take sme liike 5 mins a day.. i feed em and then like every 2 to 3 weeks a add another 5 gallon bucket of water to top it off (evaporation) now alota people think i dont spend eneough time checking parems and such but its been working so far. i just checked them yesterday for the first time in 2 months lol everythings fine. just to let u know not everything has to be 100% by the book.

jgonier

Originally posted by daredevil
thanx alot guys u really helped!:D So do u have fun with this or do u get bored after a while?

What I find the most fun about the hobby so far is watching and looking for all the new life in the tank that you did not buy. Lots of nice and interesting things come on live rock and other items you do buy.
Unlike fresh water where you have some gravel, some fish, decorations and maybe some plants. With salt water, you literaly have an eco system growing in your tank. There is even thing living in your tank that you cannot see unless you focus your eyes right and look real hard.
It is very fun but, if you do not plan on putting in the time or effort, I wouldn't bother. You will just be dissappointed in what you end up with.

nolson

I do not think I could get bored from this hobby. It is great and I love to see all the new life and see things grow and do so well

barry cuda

I spent maybe 20 min. a day maintaining the 100gal display and 20gal QT. That's testing every few days, topping off water daily, and doing whatever else needs doing. IMHO this doesn't have to be a terribly time-consuming hobby, but daily attention to what's going on in the tank is key.

lovethesea

start with a 29 or 55 fish only w/live rock. Get an ecco-system filtration. A little pricey, but in the long run worth it with and less maintence. I believe you can even DIY it. We feed every othere day (unless my Dad is around and thinks our busy little clown needs to be fed because "he looks hungry"
)
Depending on weather, top offs every few days.
The pay off is huge in this hobby. It can be as high maintence or low maintence as you want it. Nothing like just sitting and staring for a few minutes a day (or hours :rolleyes: ) to relax.

nflnutswif

Since "lovethesea" brought it up... I personally would start with as big a tank as you have space for. I think almost anyone would agree once you get started you'll go bigger and bigger!
Great hobby and always a conversation piece for guests! I have neighborhood kids coming over just to watch the fish!
Have Fun!

daredevil

thans alot guys. Today I am going to my LFS to get a tank kit. U guys really helped me and with the information you've given me I am sure this will be a fun hobby.:D
P.S. I am going to probably get a 29 gallon

deadcrow27

In a 30 gallon tank
How many gallons will i need to change if I do a weekly water change?
Will there be alot of evaporation with the glass top on?

greatfullreefer

Originally posted by deadcrow27
In a 30 gallon tank
How many gallons will i need to change if I do a weekly water change?
Will there be alot of evaporation with the glass top on?

2-3 gallons should do the trick, there probably will be without the glass top. Remove it if you can as it will get covered in salt creep and substantuly decrease your light from penetrating the water.

standish

No, your evap will increase with no top on. It's just that glass tops can get covered in salt creep. Also, if you have corals that require strong lights, a glass top can actually prevent light penetration.
The evap will be different in everyone's tank, depending on your climate, your lighting etc.
You'll just need to keep an eye on it daily until you are familiar with how much to replace. Most people who run a sump can just draw a line to where it should be filled.