To Helplesschild

stig

Hey there,
I know how you feel about getting flamed for having a tang in a 10g. I had one in a 15 and was told on here that my tank wasn't even big enough for a goldfish!
I did eventually take the tang back to the shop - it just didn't look happy.
I'd like to say something constructive to you; there are really cool fish you CAN keep in a tank that size. In my 15g I have a small maroon clown, a six-line wrasse, a purple firefish, a scooter blenny and a Randall's shrimp goby. They all get along fine and look "happy". If you stick to the smaller, less energetic fish you should be ok.
People also enjoy telling you that your system will eventually crash. A more reasonable and less reactionary statement would be that it is simply more likely to crash because of the smaller volume of water. There are steps you can take to avoid this: regular water changes (e.g. 2 or 2 and 1/2 gallons every 2-3 weeks), don't overfeed, don't overstock, have live rock, put biomedia in your filter etc.. Basically all the stuff that you should/shouldn't do with a big tank also applies to a small tank but more so. I'm still waiting for mine to crash after over a year.
With hindsight I wish I had bought a bigger tank and thought I was destined to fail with this one. The fact is, if you use your brain and are careful, it can work.
In all honesty, the tang probably shouldn't be in there. If it stays, it's all you'll be able to have. Since I've gone for smaller fish, I find my tank a lot more peaceful and more fun.
[This message has been edited by Stig (edited 03-21-2001).]