to many fish

nycbob

long-term, nitrate cant stay high without fish inside an established tank. this person who posted the question obviously has fish inside the tank currently. so the only way to find out if he has reached max bio-load is to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level. when the latter begins to creep up, thats when one knows the tank can no longer support more livestocks.

ophiura

This is a complex question, and would help if you have details. There are many ways to answer it, and different philosophies on it.
Variables such as whether it is a coral tank, or aggression with fish, behaviors of fish, etc come into play.
There are general rules, but these are often misleading.
The water quality is a factor, yes, but so is health of the fish and generally failure to "thrive" (aka grow). That should always be cause for concern.
So basically this is a tank to tank discussion, and we would need details of your tank, inhabitants, filtration, and goals.

ophiura

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3071030
long-term, nitrate cant stay high without fish inside an established tank. this person who posted the question obviously has fish inside the tank currently. so the only way to find out if he has reached max bio-load is to monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level. when the latter begins to creep up, thats when one knows the tank can no longer support more livestocks.
IMO, water quality alone is not the single consideration. It is if it is only a question of biological capacity. But you can do a lot of things with nitrate - I've seen tanks at 150 easy (tens of thousands of gallons tanks). The issue there is one of maintenance, not of stocking. You can have a tank with one fish, and overfeed it like crazy. So it is definitely a factor...but I would also say a tang in a 10g is overstocked from the moment it goes in there
This is a complex question and one that hopefully will bring some good discussion

I think someone that practices good tank husbandry is able to push the limits more successfully than someone that is on the lazier side of the spectrum. I tend to be one that likes to take it to the edge and over and I am having success in my practices. If I didn't do my water changes and tank maintenance regularly, I don't think I could get away with some of these things. As long as my fish and corals are thriving and my water chemistry stays spot on then I will stay out there on the edge. However, I do realize that it only takes one event to make the whole thing come crashing down. As stated above, every tank is different and what works for some may not work for others or vise versa.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by Alabama Reefer
http:///forum/post/3071979
I think someone that practices good tank husbandry is able to push the limits more successfully than someone that is on the lazier side of the spectrum. I tend to be one that likes to take it to the edge and over and I am having success in my practices. If I didn't do my water changes and tank maintenance regularly, I don't think I could get away with some of these things. As long as my fish and corals are thriving and my water chemistry stays spot on then I will stay out there on the edge. However, I do realize that it only takes one event to make the whole thing come crashing down. As stated above, every tank is different and what works for some may not work for others or vise versa.
Well put.

small triggers

Personally, i know i cannot put another fish in my tank, when the last 3 fish i tried to added either died or ended up in aother death. 9 is my limit in my 150g. Over about 6 months i added 3 different fish, first and angel which got an infection in its eye and died, then a toadfish that scared my foxface which died and killed the toadfish, then a lawnmower belnnie that my hawkfish PUSHED into my anemone. Since then i just havent had the heart to try anything else. SO to answer your question, when your tank has Karma and starts killing things.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3071030
Hi there,
If you ghost feed the tank or keep adding anything that beaks down into ammonia, your nitrates will continuo to increase. Basically if there is nothing that takes them out, they will continou to climb. If you have a single firefish in a 200 gallon tank, the nitrates will continou to climb if you don't do water changes often enough or do not have denitrifying bacteria. High nitrtes, to me is not an idication of s highly stocked tank. You couls have alot of fish and have zero nitrates.
If your fish are being very agressive towards each other and you find some dead here and there without no apparent reason is (in my opinion) a better indication of overstocked tank.
To the OP, if you have fish in a tank for about 6 months without any deadth's than start counting upt o one year. If all are alive and no xtreme (outside of their normal, expected agresion) agression has been seen in that time, than I would say you are safe with the fish you have. If you see the above happen, than either you have too much fish, incompatible fish or it could also be bad husbandry.
When it comes to filtration you could literally have as many fish as you can put in the aquarium. This is not a good indication of overstocking a tank.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3071572
The water quality is a factor, yes, but so is health of the fish and generally failure to "thrive" (aka grow). That should always be cause for concern.
Hi there,
With this statement I understand that fish gowth is dependent on the tank?

ophiura

Fish can be stunted (not good) in a tank that is not suitable where they are ill, stressed, etc. I would NOT imply that you can keep large fish in a small tank because they will only grow to the size of the tank. That is misleading. I would say that large fish should continue to grow and if they do not, then there is a problem with the tank.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3072285
Fish can be stunted (not good) in a tank that is not suitable where they are ill, stressed, etc. I would NOT imply that you can keep large fish in a small tank because they will only grow to the size of the tank. That is misleading. I would say that large fish should continue to grow and if they do not, then there is a problem with the tank.
Justed wanted to make sure that point was clear, thankyou.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3072015
Personally, i know i cannot put another fish in my tank, when the last 3 fish i tried to added either died or ended up in aother death. 9 is my limit in my 150g. Over about 6 months i added 3 different fish, first and angel which got an infection in its eye and died, then a toadfish that scared my foxface which died and killed the toadfish, then a lawnmower belnnie that my hawkfish PUSHED into my anemone. Since then i just havent had the heart to try anything else. SO to answer your question, when your tank has Karma and starts killing things.
Good point. I only have two tangs (yellow and powder brown tang). They are currently in an 84. I am transferrring them to my 135 when it is complete and those with be the only 'big' fish in their. I have seem people add mulitply tangs in that tank I just feel that the two are good enough. It gives them 'their space and room to swim without feeling crowded.