to much light?

criminal

ok well my 55G tank is cycling and on a few pieces of my LR (on the tops) there is this ugly brown algea looking crap and i was wondering if it was because i run my lights to long or what (i run my lights from 9am to 9pm) any advice would be great.
thanks!
Matt

uberlink

You could cut it back a bit, but I don't think the light is your problem. I think every new tank goes through the brown-slimy-algae stage. Just try to scrap it off the glass and suck it up a bit when you do water changes, and it will probably take care of itself.
The other possibility is your water. Are you using properly filtered water? If not, you might be introducing phosphates into your tank that could promote algae growth. Switch to ro/di water if you haven't already.
If you cut your lights, give it time, and use ro/di water, but you still have algae problems, then you might plant some macroalgae to pull nutrients out of the water, either in a refugium (maybe chaeto) or in tank (something pretty, like some kind of caulerpa). You could also add some algae eating animals, like snails.

juggalo235

Ok i just broke in my forty gallon tank nd now i am breaking in my 55gallon with all my old stuff in it. I got brown alge too it is part of the break in process stage, but i need to know what kinda lights your running and how old they are to. But yes cutdown your time on your lights to like 10hrs a day and that will help. If your lights are good enough you will start growing green alge which that is fine. Now you wants to watch your nitrite and nitrate levels too, also throw a couple of damisel fish in there that will help proccess the breaking in of your tank.

maeistero

no damsels, bad bad idea. first of all you're hurting fish. if you are a true aquarist then you wouldn't do this. only someone who doesn't care would do that. secondly if you know anything about damsels you won't want the sucker if it survives. just throw a shrimp in instead if it needs a cycling.
another tip is to take newer members advice with a grain of salt and research more.