To Reef, or not to Reef

tucker

I just recently bought a 35 gallon hex,and would love to start a reef tank. However, the real reason I started this whole endeavor was to purchase a trigger fish preferably a humu humu. From the discussion, it seems that is impossible because he will devour everything needed in order to fascilitate a proper enviroment. Not to mention the other fish.. Could I possibly keep a yellow tang, clownfish, trigger and say one other fish over the next year in a f/o tank with an anemone.. Maybe the trigger fish won't be able to feed on him because of the stingers... I would appreciate any information relating to how to house a trigger in the best suited situation with other fish and enviroment...thankyou

fishgirl

Here, give me your email, and I'll send you a free copy of my small guide for free online (minus the pictures and species identification section, but all the info is there), The Marine Aquarist's Guide to Triggerfish in the Home Aquarium.
I had a great experience with a picasso trigger and yellow tang together with some damsels, but I've never tried a clown with a trigger. I'm pretty sure the anemone wouldn't get eaten, but the clown may be tortured. Try a yellow tailed damsel, then add a yellow tang, and then add your picasso trigger. My guide will tell you all about how to care for your new trigger, and give him the best life possible. The picasso triggers rule!!! Good luck with your trigger, as triggers are one of my fav fish families!
(the other one is the tangs.)

tucker

Fishgirl, thanks for replying! I would really appreciate any info you have on trigger fishes.. Thanks your the best..
jmello@tucker-anthony.com
Originally posted by tucker:
I just recently bought a 35 gallon hex,and would love to start a reef tank. However, the real reason I started this whole endeavor was to purchase a trigger fish preferably a humu humu. From the discussion, it seems that is impossible because he will devour everything needed in order to fascilitate a proper enviroment. Not to mention the other fish.. Could I possibly keep a yellow tang, clownfish, trigger and say one other fish over the next year in a f/o tank with an anemone.. Maybe the trigger fish won't be able to feed on him because of the stingers... I would appreciate any information relating to how to house a trigger in the best suited situation with other fish and enviroment...thankyou

porkypuffer

A YELLOW TANG AND HUMU TRIGGER WILL GROW OUT OF A 35 GAL.TANK IN ABOUT TWO YEARS (GOOD EXCUSE TO UP GRADE)AND THE TRIGGER MAY EAT THE ANEMONE.