To scrape or not to scrape, that is the question..

jrse7en

The only "visible" coraline algae growth I have is on the side glass. I'm trying to clean up my tank a little bit so im pondering this idea of cleaning the glass on both sides. If I do scrape the algae off will it create more growth or hinder the success of growth on my liverock? Ideally, I would prefer to have colorful rock and growth on my black painted rear glass. For some reason the coralline wont grow on the back as quickly as it does on the see through surfaces.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrse7en http:///forum/thread/385157/to-scrape-or-not-to-scrape-that-is-the-question#post_3376820
The only "visible" coraline algae growth I have is on the side glass. I'm trying to clean up my tank a little bit so im pondering this idea of cleaning the glass on both sides. If I do scrape the algae off will it create more growth or hinder the success of growth on my liverock? Ideally, I would prefer to have colorful rock and growth on my black painted rear glass. For some reason the coralline wont grow on the back as quickly as it does on the see through surfaces.
Coraline will grow on plastic before anything else. You have an acrylic tank don't you....I can tell by the post.
Go ahead and get the coraline off your tank but with acrylic be careful to not scratch it. Leave the power heads running to send the spores all over the tank.
I had a sandsodter that would grab sand and dump it as it traveled.... right in front of a power head in front of a coraline loaded rock...I had coraline everywhere.

jrse7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/385157/to-scrape-or-not-to-scrape-that-is-the-question#post_3376822
Coraline will grow on plastic before anything else. You have an acrylic tank don't you....I can tell by the post.
Go ahead and get the coraline off your tank but with acrylic be careful to not scratch it. Leave the power heads running to send the spores all over the tank.
I had a sandsodter that would grab sand and dump it as it traveled.... right in front of a power head in front of a coraline loaded rock...I had coraline everywhere.
I wish I did have an acrylic tank, its glass. I'll scrape it tonight! Is there any other chemical I may want to dose besides calcium to promote growth. Its not too important but I would like some more color to the dull looking rocks. Thank you!

gemmy

Good water quality, calcium, alkalinity,magnesium, and lighting play a huge role on the coralline growth rate. You can try buying a piece of live rock that is teeming with coralline and scrape it a little before adding it to the tank. This can help add in the spread of coralline.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrse7en http:///forum/thread/385157/to-scrape-or-not-to-scrape-that-is-the-question#post_3376830
I wish I did have an acrylic tank, its glass. I'll scrape it tonight! Is there any other chemical I may want to dose besides calcium to promote growth. Its not too important but I would like some more color to the dull looking rocks. Thank you!
You don't want to be dosing anything that you can't also test for. A better option is to take a toothbrush to the coralline every now and then. This helps it spread.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrse7en http:///forum/thread/385157/to-scrape-or-not-to-scrape-that-is-the-question#post_3376830
Post your numbers for Calcium, Alkalinity, and Iodide over the past few weeks... How have you been keeping these parameters and for how long has the tank been up?

jrse7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/385157/to-scrape-or-not-to-scrape-that-is-the-question#post_3376949
Post your numbers for Calcium, Alkalinity, and Iodide over the past few weeks... How have you been keeping these parameters and for how long has the tank been up?
My Calcium has always read high and it still is high. Its in the ideal range for coraline growth I have read. I havent tested Alk. in a little while and while I do have buffers I think I should test for that tonight. Iodide I occasionally put a capful in, myabe once or twice a week. I used to be able to see the iodides effects because after a good dose the shrimp I used to have would molt that night. I have a coral banded shrimp and he hasnt molted in quite some time now. Maybe 3 or 4 months?? This leads me to believe the iodide level is on the low side, but I would be liberally dosing my bottle away. Oh and my tank is a year and a half.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrse7en http:///forum/thread/385157/to-scrape-or-not-to-scrape-that-is-the-question#post_3376999
My Calcium has always read high and it still is high. Its in the ideal range for coraline growth I have read. I havent tested Alk. in a little while and while I do have buffers I think I should test for that tonight. Iodide I occasionally put a capful in, myabe once or twice a week. This is not "occasionally", this is way too much. I used to be able to see the iodides effects because after a good dose the shrimp I used to have would molt that night. Because the shrimp was stressed. I have a coral banded shrimp and he hasnt molted in quite some time now. Maybe 3 or 4 months?? This leads me to believe the iodide level is on the low side, but I would be liberally dosing my bottle away. Oh and my tank is a year and a half.
You're dosing too much Iodide in my opinion. While it can help with molting, it can also spur molting when it isn't necessary and this is not a good thing. As shrimps get older, they tend to start molting less and less, as they're not growing as much and therefore don't need a bigger shell. I am highly against dosing with Iodide/Iodine in almost all cases. A good salt mix and routine water changes should provide your aquarium with the proper amount. This is true of almost all trace elements. If you have a heavily SPS dominated reef, than it's more likely that you'll have to dose Calcium and Alkalinity if you're not running a reactor, but for a normal tank, it's not necessary. 2 capfuls of Iodide/Iodine weekly is way too much IMO.
From Reef-Eden:
Do I need to add Iodine..?

Well, yet again there is a bit of a myth, in that it is 'claimed' that Iodine is depleted from aquaria extremely quickly by the use of powerful skimming, Carbon, or simply by assimilation. What isn't frequently considered is the fact that if you are feeding on a regular basis and doing regular water changes, the chances are in most cases, that your keeping up with demand quite admirably. Commercially available, and natural frozen foods contain more than enough to keep the vast majority of normally stocked systems happy. Its only in heavily stocked, or powerfully filtered Reef aquaria that problems with depletion 'may' be encountered or where water changes are infrequent. Sadly the advertising chat on the backs of most commercially available Iodine additives doesn't highlight this fact, and simply gives a weekly recommended dose aimed as a 'just in case' method of attack. This is one mentality most experienced reef-keepers would disagree with quite strongly. In essence, most experienced aquarists would always say 'don't add it unless you can test for it and can see you need it, and that goes for 'any' additive.
The problem, is with the fact that iodine isn't a fixed 'single' element that can be measured easily like nitrate or nitrite etc... As already stated above, many forms are created and converted within the marine environment dependant on the system design and organisms present. so it doesn't take long to realise that there's no possible way to give a definitive guide to what should and shouldn't be present, especially baring in mind the hit and miss quality of many marine test kits when it comes to testing iodine.
A good read: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php#17

jrse7en

I was dosing Iodine or Iodide because someone told me its needed for growth with an aggressive skimmer and monthly water changes. I have been changing the water a bit more frequently within the past month or so. The bottle has instructions for dosing so that was what I was following but thought it was a little overkill so I didn't do it as much. Thanks for the advice!

flower

I read too much iodine is poison. If you don't test for it do not dose it in the tank. You don't know if it's high or low you are just blindly dosing you tank, would you do that with oil in the car? No, you check to see if it's needed first.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrse7en http:///forum/thread/385157/to-scrape-or-not-to-scrape-that-is-the-question#post_3376999
My Calcium has always read high and it still is high. Its in the ideal range for coraline growth I have read. I havent tested Alk. in a little while and while I do have buffers I think I should test for that tonight. Iodide I occasionally put a capful in, myabe once or twice a week. I used to be able to see the iodides effects because after a good dose the shrimp I used to have would molt that night. I have a coral banded shrimp and he hasnt molted in quite some time now. Maybe 3 or 4 months?? This leads me to believe the iodide level is on the low side, but I would be liberally dosing my bottle away. Oh and my tank is a year and a half.
Just by the way you describe how you are maintaining the chemistry it sounds like your Alk does not stay high for an extended time and that is what you need. You can keep it up, if you are using a buffer high in carbonate but you will need to be testing and dose two times a week. I have done it this way for years. If you are able to spend a little money on a dosing controller and pump then using Kalkwasser will be better way to go. You would then use a buffer and calcium additive to set the chemistry and correct it and the Kalk will maintain the levels.